911 Call - Intruder shot!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lori Mick, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

The audio of the 911 call is amazing....

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/201127

The sister of a man who was fatally shot after breaking into a Botetourt County home said Tuesday that she believes her brother was drunk and confused about where he was.

Jerry Lee Jones Jr.'s blood-alcohol content was more than four times the legal limit for driving when he died, Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle said Tuesday.

Jody Hoover, 46, shot and killed the 35-year-old Jones after Jones broke into the Hoover family's house in the Nace area of the county Friday night.

Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom and the sheriff's office reviewed the evidence, including the recording of a 911 call made by Hoover, and decided not to charge the homeowner, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Authorities didn't release the men's names until Tuesday because Jones' identity had to be confirmed through fingerprints and Hoover was still under investigation, Branscom said.

Jones' sister, Margaret Jones, said he had been depressed and was drinking because Friday was their late father's birthday.

Jones was in a vehicle with a friend, Joe Harper, but when Jones became violent, the friend dropped him off near the Hoover home, the news release said.

Harper lived in the area, and Margaret Jones said she believes her brother thought he was at Harper's house when he was banging on the Hoovers' door.

"I'm sorry for the family, but I don't think he went there to hurt them," she said. "He couldn't have known what he was doing."

In the 911 recording, Jody Hoover calls the sheriff's office and tells a dispatcher that there is a "strange man outside our home, and he's hollerin' and he's crying out. I don't know what's going on with him."

Hoover hands the phone to his wife while he gets his double-barreled, 12-gauge shotgun.

Jones can be heard yelling and repeatedly banging on the back sliding glass door.

Hoover's wife tells the dispatcher that the man is talking about Vietnam and 1969, and that he asked Jody Hoover for the date.

Hoover talks to the man from inside. "I don't want to hurt you," he says. "I can't let you in.

"Please, just go away. Please."

About seven and a half minutes after Hoover calls 911, Jones shatters the glass door with a wrought-iron chair and tries to come in.

Hoover told authorities that he shot at Jones twice. Deputies arrived at the house as the shots were fired. Jones was pronounced dead at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

Jones lived about two miles from the Hoovers but did not know them, Sprinkle said.

In 2005, Jones was found guilty in Botetourt County of brandishing a firearm and in 1999 and 2000 he was found guilty in Roanoke County of driving under the influence.

Hoover's mother-in-law and two sons were also at the house.

2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

And another one bites the dust, should have stayed sober

3. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

That was pretty intense.

4. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

+1 on the intense. Glad to hear the authorities aren't charging the homeowner, not sure that's the way it would work here in Illinois.

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

A very sad but reasonable outcome for the situation. I would have done the same.

6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Who is to say that the drunk individual would have thought that these people were in his house and would have hurt them. It sounds to me like the home owners were in fear for their life and protected themselves.

7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Exactly. Booze kills more people than firearms, so why aren't the liberal closet-commies making noises about alcohol registration? A ban on alcohol? Oh yeah, they tried that. It didn't work. Just like a firearms ban won't work:rolleyes:

8. islenos

islenos Active Member

Hope the authorities stand by their word and not charge the guy for defending his house and family.

9. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

I agree!

10. This shooting, while sad in some ways, was certainly justified IMHO. Whatever happened to the basic principle that people must be responsible for their own actions? This scumbag fool drank himself into a stupor and then smashed his way into someone's home, for God's sake! That he ended up meeting two blasts from a double barrel is his own fault, not the man who was simply defending his family.

11. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Good thing the feller had a shotgun if he was that drunk it might have taken quite a few rounds of pistol caliber to knock him if the shots werent aimed well

12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I don't know where this happened, but here in NC, if this guy had been trying to force my door, NC law says that I can assume he's intending to commit a felony, and I can blast him through the door. But once he enters my home, I can only shoot him if I am in fear of imminent death, serious injury, or sexual assault.

13. artabr

artabr New Member

It sucks to be the drunk. Guess he won't have to worry about the hangover. Oh well........ not much sympathy from this poster.

Art

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I feel bad for the guys family, and respect the fact that they aren't using this as an opportunity to rail against guns.

15. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    This illustrates the futility of calling the police and hoping that they get there in time. They usually don't. It's too bad it had to come to this, but what can you do? I'm not going to stand by and let some violent stranger break into my home and do nothing. One must protect their, and their family's lives. TJ