9mm german lugar

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Silverado, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Silverado

Silverado New Member

I have seen several posts related to 9mm german lugars and their worth. I have one that I am preparing to sell. My questions are, 1. What should I do to prepare it? It seems as if it is in very good condition. The holster is as well. 2. When selling a gun, what is the best way to do it to get the most profit from the sale? Also, for information: the gun shows both a 1918 and 1920 on the top ( I assume one is the date but they are side by side on the same piece). There is also what I believe to be the serial number or at least the last 2 digits stamped several places around the gun on different parts. In regard to the holster, it also has a separate 4 digit number stamped on the back along with a german name, the word Berlin, and an eagle holding the swatzticka (sp). So, with all this information, could anyone give me some answers to my questions and possibly what they think it could be worth? Thanks for the help.

2. Danny

Danny Member

:)I can help you but first we need pictures of the Luger?
    Regards
    Danny

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, silverado. Danny is right, if you could post some pictures it would help. In particular pictures of the chamber markings, toggle, and any proof marks would be very helpful.

4. Silverado

Silverado New Member

I have made an album that has photos of the luger. I would appreciate any imput you guys could give me....btw...sorry for the misspelling of luger.

5. Silverado

Silverado New Member

6. Silverado

Silverado New Member

7. Silverado

Silverado New Member

Hopefully in these above photos, you can make out the serial number on the side and then the date on top. The top numbers...I assume the date....are both on the same part. They are 1918 and 1920. The album I have made has 7 other photos.

8. Silverado

Silverado New Member

9. Danny

Danny Member

Friend that is a double date police with the added sear protection. From looking at the bluing and the holster and all a good 2500 dollar outfit if not more. Enjoy
    Regards
    Danny:):):)

10. Danny

Danny Member

I forgot U wanted info on selling. First I would ask any of the Forum Members first. After that call me & I can give you step by step ways to list it on one of the best auction sites there is. I just helped a friend with his Walther PP. Glad to help 304-877-6650
    Danny:)

11. Silverado

Silverado New Member

Thank you for the information...would you mind elaborating on the double date police and the added sear protection? I was curious as to what that meant. That is great news as to the worth of the luger. As I am in no real rush to sell, do you believe the value will continue to rise? Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

12. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

After WWI some lugers were retained by the German government and issued to police units. To signify that the gun was "legal" after the WWI the date 1920 was stamped on these units. The safety sear is seen on the left side of the receiver and as remember was done to prevent firing when the clip was out, but I am not sure of this. The safety sear was removed from many Lugers, but some survived. The value is determined largely by it being all matching, that is the last two digits of the serial should be repeated on many of the small parts, but external and internal. Double dates are collectible, but not rare.

13. Silverado

Silverado New Member

Thanks for the information. The last two digits, 06, are on several parts all over the gun. There is even an 06 stamped on the key that is located in the holster as well as one of the clips.

Ok, with this great information on the luger...do you recommend having it taken apart and thoroughly cleaned inside and out. I would rather have a professional do this but would hate to take a chance on losing the gun. How do you find reputable professionals in a particular local area?

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I sure wouldn't take it apart. If you are looking to sell in the future, the collector who might buy it would be the one to clean it. If you want to lightly oil it and wipe it down to remove any finger prints that should be enough for now, The finger prints on the gun can and will cause rust from the acid in the oil on your hands. I would also suggest not to keep it stored in the holster since leather attracts and retains moisture. Just my added 2 cents worth!!

15. Silverado

Silverado New Member

Thanks, all, for the help.