The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided not to pay current prices for factory 9mm ammo; therefore I am going to reload it on 2 single stage presses. I have the Redding Premium dies set; but also have a 38 special taper crimp die. I am leaning on trying to use that 38 special taper crimp die instead of the seat/crimp die. Any ideas about this theory? Also I have 3 full size 1911's and decided that I better use a powder charge to yield a power factor sufficient to ensure good cycling with these pistols. That translates to: 4.2 - 4.3 grs of Hodgdon Titegroup. Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do you know that 9mm headspaces on the case mouth and the case just gets straightened and not crimped? Any crimp can result in pressure excursions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Your charge weight is going to be dependent on the bullets you're using.
Were it me, I'd just go ahead with the seat/crimp die rather than throwing another piece of equipment in the mix. I've been loading .40 S&W cases that way for years and have never had a hiccup. Just a very light taper crimp and you should do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
29,422 Posts
Don't think the 38 die will work regardless, the cartridge is to long for the 9mm to reach the crimp area. You don't want to crimp 9mm anyway, just remove the bell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know that 9mm headspaces on the case mouth and the case just gets straightened and not crimped? Any crimp can result in pressure excursions.
Yes, I am aware of headspace on the case mouth; I reckon since I use 2 single stage presses its always been my policy to crimp as a separate operation. I got into the habit of seating on one press and crimping on another when I loaded .223, 38 special and 357 magnum.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As much as I hate seating & crimping in the same die/stage it is what I would do on a single stage press. There is no real advantage to doing it separately like there may be when you are using a heavy roll crimp. There is big disadvantage, it's an extra step on a SS press.

9mm rounds get so little crimp you can even seat a completed round deeper without worrying about anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its been many years since reloaded 9mm and then it was on a Dillon square deal B; so this will be my 1st time loading it on SS presses. I will try to seat & crimp in one operation abd see how it works out. Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
If you want to seat the bullet and crimp in separate steps, I suggest that you look into a Lee Factory Crimp die. I have a FCD for every cartridge that I load, including 9mm. There are folks that say that they are not all that productive in handgun ammo, but I just like to do it in separate steps myself.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I too have been loading 9 mm Lugers (9x19 et al). I had some trouble w/ chambering and bought a Lee Carbide factory crimp die. GThey are unique in that they size the round(at the crimping step) on the way in AND out of the die. No more seating problems. Will one help you, I have no idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I load a lot of 9mm and I STRONGLY recommend using a Lee Factory Crimp die as the final step. I guarantee that every round will chamber and you won’t damage any cases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts