The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yet another good reason to learn how to cast bullets.
Some have the means, some don't, and are doing all they can with what they have/can find, to shoot and practice with any regularity. It doesn't take a MENSA-level I.Q. to understand that, without it being explained. Since neither of us has a particular insight into the man's situation, perhaps all concerned should refrain from any assumptions concerning what he could/should/would/will/will not do

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Some have the means, some don't, and are doing all they can with what they have/can find, to shoot and practice with any regularity. It doesn't take a MENSA-level I.Q. to understand that, without it being explained. Since neither of us has a particular insight into the man's situation, perhaps all concerned should refrain from any assumptions concerning what he could/should/would/will/will not do
Perhaps you should refrain from any assumptions on what I can do.. We are offering opinions..and this is a teaching situation. Bullets are scarce... And you can either set in the dirt and keep having nothing..or you can learn to take control of your destiny and do something about it. So..the comments have value in the long term, using this as a point of reference in a longer series of events. Ie a period of scarcity could cause one to prepare better when possible. While there are many avenues of preparing..ive touched on 1, making what you need. Another could simply be buying mass quantities of what you need.

Remember the primer shortages a few years ago.... Some of us didn't like that and bought thousands of extra primers. That's an adaptation to an adverse situation. Same as what I'm mentioning with casting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Y'all are getting too excited about this. The bullet manufacturer is Precision Bullets, in Kemp, TX. They are poly coated bullets with no cannelure, they are for 38 special. The manufacturer recommends the use of a taper crimp. I don't have one so I tried using the taper crimp die from my 9mm dies, as they are so close in diameter. I seated the bullets first then crimped in a separate operation. I did roll crimp a couple of rounds for comparison and there no noticeable difference. I probably won't purchase a taper crimp die just for 38/357, as these are the only bullets I have that don't have a cannelure. So I was just trying to follow the manufacturers recommendation and thought I would share what I did in case someone else had the same issue as I did.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
For what it's worth...the Hornady Taper Crimp Die #044170 is listed as .38/9mm. Have had one on order for so long I'd forgotten I ordered it. However, Optics Planet provides me an update shipping date every 4 weeks to keep hope alive.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts