The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to reloading. I have some components to start but have some questions. I have Hodgdon Universal and Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets. The Hodgdon data says to use 130gr Berry's RN with universal and from what I can tell Berry's does not even sell a 130gr 9mm. Can I use these bullets and if so what would be a good starting load? They show a Berry's CN bullet that is 124gr with Universal which will give an idea of how much powder to start with but since I am using a RN what would the COL be? Can I do this?

here is their 130gr data.

130 GR. BERB RN Hodgdon Universal .356" 1.150" 3.8 857 26,600 PSI 4.2 978

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm new to reloading also. And am told you can't always match components up exactly. If your gunna use different data. Always start with lowest charge and work up very slow and look for signs of pressure. Your oal just remember when you seat a bullet the deeper the bullet is seated the more pressure you'll have. Only your gun will tell you what's a good oal, all guns are different. Your load book should tell you how to take your gun apart and find a oal it should be under headspace. As long as the round cycles good and shoots that's a good oal. Mine for the 9mm is 1.06" with a 147 and 1.10" with a 124. Just examples of different oals. I'm too new to be giving you data I'm still learning. But those are just basics that I've been told.

·
Super Moderator
41,379 Posts
I would not use the data for a 130 grain bullet!!!

I am looking at the Lyman #49 manual, the closest thing I can find to what you are asking is they have a 125 grain Jacketed bullets listed with a minimum of 4.0 of Universal and a maximum of 4.5 grains. That half a grain is not a lot of spread just like on the one you show with a spread of 4 tenths of a grain.

AR Guy is right when he says to start at the lowest and work up, If I were you, I would start with the 4.0 grain load and work up from there but don't go over the 4.5 grains that the #49 manual says. Berry's website states that when using their bullets it is safe to use a load that is mid-range of what is called for a Jacketed bullet, so maybe stick to about 4.2 or 4.3 grains of Universal.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Berrys bullets work well with minimum charge weights and very little crimp as to not deform the plating. I choose not to use Berrys due to the high maintenance reloading procedures needed to make them work. Try www.precisiondelta.com for quality JACKETED bullets at LOWER prices than BERRYS.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I'm new to reloading also. And am told you can't always match components up exactly. If your gunna use different data. Always start with lowest charge and work up very slow and look for signs of pressure. Your oal just remember when you seat a bullet the deeper the bullet is seated the more pressure you'll have. Only your gun will tell you what's a good oal, all guns are different. Your load book should tell you how to take your gun apart and find a oal it should be under headspace. As long as the round cycles good and shoots that's a good oal. Mine for the 9mm is 1.06" with a 147 and 1.10" with a 124. Just examples of different oals. I'm too new to be giving you data I'm still learning. But those are just basics that I've been told.

You have learned well GrassHopper!

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I am new to reloading. I have some components to start but have some questions. I have Hodgdon Universal and Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets. The Hodgdon data says to use 130gr Berry's RN with universal and from what I can tell Berry's does not even sell a 130gr 9mm. Can I use these bullets and if so what would be a good starting load? They show a Berry's CN bullet that is 124gr with Universal which will give an idea of how much powder to start with but since I am using a RN what would the COL be? Can I do this?

here is their 130gr data.

130 GR. BERB RN Hodgdon Universal .356" 1.150" 3.8 857 26,600 PSI 4.2 978
Yes, that is a Berry's bullet it is listed under 38 Super not 9mm. It is the correct size .356.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14480-c12-g6-b0-p0-.38_Super_130gr_RN.aspx#

From Berry's.

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
So, according to Berry's and Hodgdon you should Start at 4.3gr which is the "Start" charge for FMJ 125gr. Max for the 125gr FMJ is 4.9gr, stop short of that at about 4.5-4.6gr.

I would start with an OAL of 1.135 or longer if it will feed and function.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks steve4102 its etched in my brain.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information. I have been reading all that I can on reloading. The Lyman Pistol manual has good info and I read it cover to cover. Now I need to get the press set up and start working on a load for the 9mm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loaded 5 rounds of the 9mm with Berrys 124gn round nose and 4.3 grains of Universal with a oal of 1.15. 4 of the 5 cycled the gun but I could tell the recoil was light and brass fell at my feet. The last round failed to eject. Should I add .2 more to make it 4.5? Max for the FMJ is 4.9 and this is a plated bullet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts