The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new project.....a budget open gun out of my Canik TP9SFx. I will be working up loads to make 165 power factor for USPSA competition.

Anyone dabbled with 9 major?

·
Registered
934 Posts
What is the max. OAL you can run in your gun with the bullets you are planning to use?
Most shooters will run somewhere around a 1.165 OAL with a 115 grain bullet, JHP preferred since those don't foul up the compensator.
You will need that long OAL to be able to get enough powder in the case and keep pressure in check.

Popular powders seem to be HS-6, VV3n37/38 or even N350, Shooters World Major pistol or similar slow powders using over 8 grains.
You will not find this in any reloading manual that I am aware of so you will have to experiment yourself.

One last thing, I cannot find what pressure the gun is rated for. You will be generating higher pressures that it is rated for. (But I'm sure you are aware of that)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the max. OAL you can run in your gun with the bullets you are planning to use?
Most shooters will run somewhere around a 1.165 OAL with a 115 grain bullet, JHP preferred since those don't foul up the compensator.
You will need that long OAL to be able to get enough powder in the case and keep pressure in check.

Popular powders seem to be HS-6, VV3n37/38 or even N350, Shooters World Major pistol or similar slow powders using over 8 grains.
You will not find this in any reloading manual that I am aware of so you will have to experiment yourself.

One last thing, I cannot find what pressure the gun is rated for. You will be generating higher pressures that it is rated for. (But I'm sure you are aware of that)
I am planning to run MG 124 jhp at 1.160. I will be testing both HS6 and BE86.
Canik are +p rated since they are made for NATO loads. I am also not using a factory barrel. I have an aftermarket barrel already in the gun and have been in touch with the manufacturer about pressure requirements needed. I have several comps to test and have an aftermarket tungsten guide rod with a variety of recoil springs for tuning purposes.
I promise this is not a seat of the pants project. I have studied on it long and hard and will be taking baby steps along the way.

·
Registered
869 Posts
HS6 is a good choice, as is the 124 MG. I've burned a pile of it under 115 Precision Delta JHP's. Personal choice--I like 115's just a touch better than 124's. Standard small pistol primers work fine--or you could use SPM or SR. With a 124 I tend toward 3N38 or SWMP. With a 124 MG at 1.160, start out at around 7.7 of HS6 and work up.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sure would like to see pressure traces of 9mm Major loads. Thank God that Luger designed a strong case.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked with the barrel manufacturer today and got the green light to move forward. He wanted me to stay in close contact with him as I go so, Will be starting load Development next week. Stand by for more....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts