The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here goes...
I own 3 9mm pistols... a CZ 75, a Kahr MK9, & a newly bought Springfield Armory XDm.
I reload. My reloaded 9mm's are within spec with a COL of 1.120" & a crimp of .375".These reloads fit in a go/no go gauge with no problem & all have been miked confirming the specs. I've double checked these dimensions with factory Winchester & Blazer rounds. All 3 pistols shoot the factory rounds with no problems. My Kahr shoots my reloads with no problems. The CZ and the BRAND NEW Springfield will not cycle the reloaded rounds into battery. The only recourse I can think of is to continue to downsize the dimensions of the reloads until they fit, but then I'm heading into the realm of keyhole shots or increasing the pressure of the charge.
Do these two pistols- the CZ & the XDm have slightly smaller chambers? Why would they not be able to handle the reload rounds when the Kahr will eat them all day??? What is the difference between my reloads & the factory loads when they are the SAME dimensions? What the #### is going on here?:mad:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I am thinking that you need to check the bullet ogive and put the rounds side by side. I have a feeling that the bullet is causing the problem, not the case.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
What shape of bullet are you using?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had the same problem with the XD that darn thing likes the loads all most to the max before it will cycle at 100% Them springs are a bit strong for loads that are mid range. I also found that Win 231 and Power Pistol works the best for the XD's Hope that helps out.

G

·
Will it chamber the round when you drop the slid on a round?

Will it chamber a round if you fire the gun?

If it chambers the round when you drop the slide on a full mag, but fails to chamber the round after that then you need to up load (Unless your at a MAX LOAD) You don't say what your load data is so I can' asses that. If nothing I said is going wrong then look at what bullets you're using.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
As you can see Ransom we have a lot more questions that we have answers.
I'll ask a few myself.

What bullet brand and weight are you using?

What is your powder and charge?

What exactly do you mean by this.
The CZ and the BRAND NEW Springfield will not cycle the reloaded rounds into battery.
Do you seat and crimp in a separate step?

Have you removed the barrels and tried the "plunk" test?

Do they cycle and chamber by hand?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your dimensions sound okay, but every gun is different (and so is every bullet design). As others said, your description of the problem is sketchy, but try a plunk test with the barrels of the problem guns. I'm also curious about the comment that they "will not cycle the reloaded rounds into battery." Does that mean when you fire a round that the slide will not cycle? That would be a totally different issue, possibly related to springs or powder charge weight.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you take the barrels out of the pistols , will your reloads drop in the chambers?
Yep the final test/say-so is the "plunk test". If the cartridges don't pass the test they will most likely not chamber/feed reliably!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I did the "plunk" test in both the CZ & the XDm barrels. The bullets do NOT seat all the way into the barrels. Almost 1/8" of the brass is still exposed. I did the test with some factory rounds - they seated. Looking closely at the brass, there is the slightest bulge close to the back end (please excuse the lack of proper description-I'm having a brain fart!) of the brass. To me, it seems like the resizing die did not go fully down into the brass, but I looked at the die as it is seated & there is no more depth that it can be moved down to. The problem appears to be in the reloaded brass, but why would this problem happen now when I've never made any adjustments to the dies & have successfully loaded these rounds before?
Some of the details are-
Berry's 124 grn. JHP, loaded with Universal 4.7 grns.
Speer 125 grn. RN, with Universal 4.0 grns.
Seat & crimp are 2 seperate dies ( Dillon RL 550B )

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Is your sizing die touching the shell holder?

Size a few pieces of brass.

See if the empty brass chambers with ease. If it does then the problem is not with the sizing die.

If they do not chamber then you have to figure out what is amiss in your sizing operation.

Berry's 124 grn. JHP, loaded with Universal 4.7 grns.
Speer 125 grn. RN, with Universal 4.0 grns.
Your OAL may be the problem.
First, Berry does not make a 124gr HP bullet in 9mm that I am aware of. Most data I have for any 9mm JHP has an OAL of 1.060, your HP bullet is at 1.120, that's long for a JHP.

Second, is your Speer bullet jacketed or lead. The only Speer 125gr 9mm bullet I am aware of is Lead.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I think you need to re-adjust your bullet seat, and crimp die. Too much pressure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Berry's Manufacturing
401 N. 3050 E.
St. George, UT 84790 Sales Receipt

Date Number
1/13/2013 69374

Bill To:
Richard Bell
Conway, AR 72032 US

[email protected]

Ship To:
Richard Bell
Conway, AR 72032 US

Thank you for shopping with us. Below are the details of your order.

Qty Product Description Price Each Total
1 52222 .40 Cal 155gr HBRN
#52222 - Box of 1000 $119.48 $119.48
1 10299 9mm 124gr HP
#10299 - Box of 250 $27.17 $27.17

I bought the hollow points this last Jan. from Berry's. They are no longer listed among their bullets...maybe an austerity movement? Speer bullet is lead.
Anyway, I only bought 250 & have loaded all of them. I have to wait until I can get more small primers before I can do any more 9mm's. I'm copying all of your responses to have them handy when I start up again. I'll keep you all posted on my future results.
Thanks for the responses, People. You pointed out some great sugestions.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Either size some brass and try the cases in the chamber or measure the finished cartridge and find out where it's too big to chamber. When reloading semi-auto ammo, ferget the term "crimp". You're only removing any flare in the case mouth with a taper crimp die, not crimping...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a similar problem in that my 9mm hangs the lip of the hollow point on the beginning of the ramp of the chamber. With my limited experience of reloading I have played with the OAL a bit but no change. The bullets are not jacketed but copper plated, whatever that’s called. This is the first ten reloads from my Hornady LnL AP. I’m all fired up but stuck in Neutral!

The weapon is a S&W Sigma 9mm. Had it for several years and like it. The bullets are 124g forgot the name and some 115g Hornady JHP that came as a rebate with the LnL AP.

Mike

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ransom are you using range pickup or once fired brass? Sounds to me like you brass has the "glock bulge" from their unsupported chambers. If your OAL is what it says in your reloading manual and you are using a mid-range powder charge the I would recommend using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for your crimping step and see if that solves your problem. If not Lee also offers a "Bulge Buster" that may work as well, this will have to be a extra step in your reloading process if you are seating your bullet & crimping at the same time.

The Lee Precision Carbide Factory Crimp Die is designed to give reloaders the perfect crimp on each round of reloaded ammunition. The Factory Crimp Die crimps the bullet more firmly in place than any other die with more uniform pressure. The Carbide Factory Crimp Die features a carbide ring that sizes the cartridge while it is being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory-like dependability. The adjusting screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp while a factory-like crimp is added to more firmly hold the bullet in place. Lee's testing has shown that using a Factory Crimp Die provides a more uniform pressure curve, increasing the accuracy of any bullet. A firm crimp is essential for dependable and accurate ammunition.
Courtesy of MidwayUSA!

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
Every time that I have ever had a similar problem, I have seated the bullet a little deeper until it worked. I also think it is the bullet and not the case unless it is like streetbob says with the Glock bulge.. I have been shooting Berry's bullets for years and have never had any problem with them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts