The Firearms Forum banner

9mm Range report

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  AR guy 
#1 · (Edited)
here are my targets from the handgun range. the top two are mine and the bottom two are my sons. we both shot from 35 ft. we both need practice but not too bad I guess. we had a good day both had fun and we came home with twice as much brass as we went there with.I used TG for my loads and some with WSF. both powders worked great. gunna end up going to the rangs alot more since we are reloading now. thanks for all the help.

#3 ·
You got it.

#4 ·
Feels good to fire ammo that you handcrafted, doesn't it? Groups will shrink with time and tuning your loads. Looks like the pics uploaded ok from the laptop:)

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah Woolley I had to use the laptop thanks. Yeah it does feel good, but I gotta say I was a bit scared firing the first round just because I kept thinking did I seated to far, did I put too much powder in, you know just things like that. Boy I was happy when the first round shot good. I was relieved. And happy. Gotta say my son who's 12 shot good for his age.

#7 ·
Yeah Woolley I had to use the laptop thanks. Yeah it does feel good, but I gotta say I was a bit scared firing the first round just because I kept thinking did I seated to far, did I put too much powder in, you know just things like that. Boy I was happy when the first round shot good. I was relieved. And happy.
the only better feeling in regards to shooting that I've found than pulling the trigger on my first reloads; was watching my son shoot his first reloads.

#8 ·
I gotta say me too, I just made sure I shot 1 or 2 first just for safety and then the rest was mostly his.

#9 ·
I gotta say me too, I just made sure I shot 1 or 2 first just for safety and then the rest was mostly his.
How old is your son? Mine was 10 when I started him into reloading, he is now 12 and loves to reload. Still loves to "unload" more, but he does quite well at the bench. I mostly just watch and double check just for safety's sake.

#10 ·
My son is 12. He has only shot the gun about a half a dozen times so far. He's been bugging me for a year. I just wanted to make sure he was ready. When I took him for his first shoot and he actually saw the gun fire he was scared. I had to push him to shoot it, but after that he went to town. He's not bad for only shooting a few times. He wants to go so often, that's part of the reason I started to reload, cut cost. But he read and watched YouTube videos and showed me how interested he was, what could I say. After showing me he took the time to learn.

#11 ·
After the range I went to the local gun shop and bought a Taurus pt92 9mm. It's a Christmas gift for the boy. He's been showing me that gun for weeks now o he will be surprised when he gets it.

#12 ·
After the range I went to the local gun shop and bought a Taurus pt92 9mm. It's a Christmas gift for the boy. He's been showing me that gun for weeks now o he will be surprised when he gets it.
That's gonna make him happy!! Now you both have a few weeks to get some more reloading done and you'll have plenty of range fodder. My son only has 22's thus far, he loves the little Sig Mosquito the best. He's going to get a hunting rifle this next summer, not sure which one yet, but it will be a 7mm-08. He's shot my 1911 and all my other handguns, except he's only shot 38's in the Blackhawk. I'll let him have some 357's soon though.

#14 ·
Yeah will do. The only other gn I got is the ruger p95. 9mm I kinda thought it was too big but I also didn't want to buy another just to find out so I said what the hell ill let him shoot it. And low and behold he was pretty good with it, but I still watch him like a hawk.

#15 ·
Can't wait to see my two sons when they get their first guns; got my first .22 rifle on my 7th birthday and got to shoot with my dad very early on. Helping and learning to reload also, nothing like passing it on.

Sounds like you're on a good track to being a reloading addict; like anything else, once ya do it and get familiar with it, you build confidence and can really make some good ammo tailored to your gun and discipline of shooting. and of course being able to share with family makes it that much better!

#16 ·
Confidence part is right, I can't stress how worried I was till I shot the first shot. It was a load off my back. I think I am becoming a reloading junki. After dinner I made 50 9mm rounds. Lmao. Your right I'm hooked.

#18 · (Edited)
I went on Craig's list and found a nib rcbs rock chuckler master kit and hornady tumbler for $275. The guy bought it and his wife lost her job, so he couldn't load. So I got it. The 9mm bullets I bought at cabelas for $13.59 per 100 hornady xtp hp 124 gr and got 200 147 gr for $15.59. Total of 700 bullets. The .223 I got from the Everglades and paid $47 per 500 55 gr bt. They all worked good. I asked a lot of questions I think 80 or so but the guys are all good and will help. I still have more questions but ill spread them out because I don't want to bother too much. But all will reply fast and with good answers. I was looking at the lee kit, but I was told eventually you will upgrade so I found that kit for a good price and just bought it. The .223 dies I got off eBay. They seem to work fine. The 9mm I just couldn't win at a decent price so I just went to bass pro and bought carbide. I used titegroup powder and Winchester WSF for the 9 and I used Hodgdon 322 for the .223. I wanna try AR Comp from alliant powder next just cuz it sounds good. But my loads shot all good. All cycled good. And the recoil was lot less than commercial. My son he's 12 and he shot the 9mm a lot better, it just wasn't jerking in his hand like commercial ammo does. The rifle he shot better too. My charges only went to mid point. That seems fine to me, I can't see using a full charge but I guess that's shooters choice. So try it you'll like it, I'm hooked. Gunna fine tune my loads and hope to shoot better soon. I got the single stage just because I did not know what I was doing and you get a better handle on things and control it better with single stage. Too many things going on at once with turret and progressive. So I wanted to learn what I'm doing first. The good thing about the rock chuckler is I only have to buy a conversion kit to change it into a progressive press. I think my biggest problem was second guessing myself the week before going to test my rounds. But once that first shot rang out, I felt better. My confidence on reloading turned around and I feel a lot better. Get a press and get some reloads done, its worth it.

#19 ·
How did you shoot it, standing, bench, slow fire, rapid fire, one hand or two hand? I was out yesterday afternoon myself at 15 yards so range was pretty close to yours but I was shooting two handed slow fire.

#20 ·
I was shooting pistol at 35 two handed my son the same. No rapid fire at buffalo range. Just standing up. Rifle was iron sets at 50 yards and sitting at a table but holding gun off. So low and steady breathing you know. It's not to bad. My son did well too.

#21 ·
Congrats to you and your son. You're building a bond and passing on a great tradition. The rewards in your son's character and the relationship he will have with you are priceless.
You have my respect.

#22 ·
Hope the fun part of it makes you go out soon and often. Can't think of many better ways of working on your skills and bonding., The natural competition will push both of you to get better and that can make it even more fun.

#23 ·
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.