The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at this reloading game and was looking for some help. I've been reloading 115 jacketed 9mm and they have been working good in both my SW and Beretta PX-4 storm, but I have some flyers so I thought I'd try 124 XTP. I switched from HP-38 powder to Accurate #2. Now Acc #2 calls for less grains which is understandable, but the spent brass gets hung up on the SW and jams the Beretta. I increased the powder to the max and it helped alittle, but unreliable. I'm thinking its the powder, some tell me the weight 124 vs. 115, which I'm not buying. This is the first time I used Acc #2 because as everyone knows everything has been hard to find and this is all they had that was rated for 124 XTP. Since I'm new I'm sure theres something I'm not catching so any help from the pros out there would be apprieciated. Thanks.

· Registered
570 Posts
Im no pro but I'll pitch in anyway. I am assuming that your manual (or manuals) has a listing for the bullet/powder combo? If not, find a listing. There may be a reason if there isnt one. So assuming there is, you are getting failures to extract and jams, with sufficient powder charge? Pistol has proven reliable feeding with other ammo so we can pretty much rule that out. Did you happen to clean it prior to trying this new load, maybe over-oiling the chamber? An oily chamber can cause the fired case to stick just a little. Just a thought, but nothing else is making much sense.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
The Hornady 7th Ed. does have 9mm 115gr load data for AA#2. It's a poor performer though...looks like a real fast burning powder for that particular combination to me. I'm sure this is why it's not listed as a choice for the heavier bullet weights, and maybe was dropped from the newer editions of the manual too. (Yeah, I need to get a newer Hornady manual someday).
Bntyhntr's suggestion to go straight to Accurate's site for their PDF manual is a good one. AA#2 is listed for both bullet weights.

I too would suggest another powder for the 9mm if possible, but I've not got a lot of experience loading the 9mm yet so I don't have any solid suggestions.
HP-38 (the same powder as WW231) is also a fast burner and doesn't give as good velocity potential as a slower burner. I have used it in my 4" Sig and my 5" Witness with no function problems in either pistol so far.
The other powder I've been trying is Unique, since I've got a good stockpile of it. It seems to work better than HP-38/WW231 in the little loadwork I've done so far.
Next on my list are BlueDot and PowerPistol. Both of those seem promising in the manuals that I've got.

I do understand the use what you can find on the shelf problem though. Handgun powders don't last long on the shelf in my area either.

· Registered
110 Posts
HDtramp,
I only shoot and reload for 124gr. I have tried #2 in the past and had trouble with it. No matter what charge I used, I had FTE and FTL. I stop using it, and that is why I suspect that not too many places list #2 as a powder to use. Hope this helps.
Chuck

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HDtramp,
I only shoot and reload for 124gr. I have tried #2 in the past and had trouble with it. No matter what charge I used, I had FTE and FTL. I stop using it, and that is why I suspect that not too many places list #2 as a powder to use. Hope this helps.
Chuck
thanks for the info, I got the info out of the LEE manual and the powder bottle. I guess I'm just stuck with a pound of worthless powder.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
Not worthless, it makes good fertilizer..put it on your roses.
Or just hang onto it for a few years. :) There's always the next gun purchase that might be in a caliber that AA#2 will work in.
Definitely worht hanging onto for a while. If it's known good powder then I have a hard time tossing it to the flower patch...especially since we're up to around $25/lb these days. That's why my powder shelf is as full as it is. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.