The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I assume you mean HP-38.
FWIW rarely are you going to get an answer for common reload data when it is readily available either online or in a manual.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hope the op isn't a 1 post and boom....gone.

Seems to be A LOT of them.

From some of the warm welcomes, responses and outright admonishments they receive, it could be expected.

Newbies should be encouraged and taught.

The written word is easily taken out of context, without tone and inflection.

As a "newb" to the forum, I have no idea how many members there are ( it probably says somewhere, but I don't care enough to go look ), but I have noticed, the same 10-12 are the main contributors. The occasional newbie comment, not OP.

Yesterday, I was seeing comments by people I hadn't seen before. Several were long time members and had few posts. I was thinking to myself, the OP must have really hit an interest. Are these people standing in the shadows, looking to learn, gain information, or afraid to comment much.

But, I ramble on. I suppose those in charge, like the way things are and will continue as it is.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
If the OP tries to load with "Ole Joe's Favorite Load" (instead of loading from a trusted published Reloading Manual) he may very well end up with "BOOM and GONE". Both him and his 9mm...
Agreed.. especially if he tries to load with H380

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Seems to be A LOT of them.

From some of the warm welcomes, responses and outright admonishments they receive, it could be expected.

Newbies should be encouraged and taught.

The written word is easily taken out of context, without tone and inflection.

As a "newb" to the forum, I have no idea how many members there are ( it probably says somewhere, but I don't care enough to go look ), but I have noticed, the same 10-12 are the main contributors. The occasional newbie comment, not OP.

Yesterday, I was seeing comments by people I hadn't seen before. Several were long time members and had few posts. I was thinking to myself, the OP must have really hit an interest. Are these people standing in the shadows, looking to learn, gain information, or afraid to comment much.

But, I ramble on. I suppose those in charge, like the way things are and will continue as it is.
I stand by what I said. I assume that the person who asked for a recipe for specific reloading data is an adult. The admonition to take reloading data from a published manual ONLY is sound advice. I've been around TFF for a long while, and so I've seen a great number of people asking for something very dangerous - that being non-published reloading data.

I am sorry if you consider this rude or offensive. I intend no rudeness or offense. Making your own ammunition at home is a fun (to me) and rewarding exercise. It can be deadly if done incorrectly. Those who approach reloading without basic knowledge or cautions MUST be cautioned to take the basic steps of learning what to do, how to do it, and the reasons why those steps are critical for their safety.

One of the most basic cautions to reloading is to NOT take unplublished reload data and attempt to reload with that data. To do otherwise is unsafe and unwise and could very well kill or maim someone.

·
Registered
406 Posts
and so I've seen a great number of people asking for something very dangerous - that being non-published reloading data.
So have I and it is a common question asked on gun related forums.

The OP entered the forum with no introduction, and no other questions other than 'does anyone have a recipe' for a 9mm reload - AND with a rifle powder shown.

This suggests to ME he has very limited experience with reloading, most likely new and probably not ever 'cracked' a manual. It's possible he is getting all his info from reloading websites (not all of them good) but he would at least known about load data on powder manufacturer websites.

I read about far too many people who are diving into reloading with no research, and trying to get all their info from the internet, asking questions - including those for common load data that is easily found on a MANUFACTURER website, or the good 'ol manuals like most of us 'long term' reloaders used - and they still need to be !

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
I stand by what I said. I assume that the person who asked for a recipe for specific reloading data is an adult. The admonition to take reloading data from a published manual ONLY is sound advice. I've been around TFF for a long while, and so I've seen a great number of people asking for something very dangerous - that being non-published reloading data.

I am sorry if you consider this rude or offensive. I intend no rudeness or offense. Making your own ammunition at home is a fun (to me) and rewarding exercise. It can be deadly if done incorrectly. Those who approach reloading without basic knowledge or cautions MUST be cautioned to take the basic steps of learning what to do, how to do it, and the reasons why those steps are critical for their safety.

One of the most basic cautions to reloading is to NOT take unplublished reload data and attempt to reload with that data. To do otherwise is unsafe and unwise and could very well kill or maim someone.
Agreed. Asking for data means no manual..and oddly... Not using available good/safe published online sources like hodgdon's site..which is my quick go to for when researching load and projectile combinations.

"Hodgdon Reloading | Home" Hodgdon Reloading | Home

·
Registered
435 Posts

I agree, totally

My response was NOT directed at you or anyone, specific. It was a generalized statement, that seems to have struck a nerve. Which being written vs spoken word, was taken out of context.

My ramble was because of several OPs from newbs and the responses posted.

SAFETY is #1 and #2 is to repeat safety checks before proceeding.

A big problem with the younger generation (and society, in general) is the want/need for "instant gratification". Calm teaching and emphasis on safety will be better accepted and retained, than any admonitions, ever will

Your species posts, your attempt to talk to me, in assuming your greater knowledge, experience, superiority, age, whatever WAS what I was posting. ASSuming will not promote understanding.

Of course, if the goal is to maintain your own little Mount Olympus of gods, with a few subjects bowing before you, continue.

The newbs will go elsewhere. Newbs are new to the forum, not necessarily new to firearms or life.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
So have I and it is a common question asked on gun related forums.

The OP entered the forum with no introduction, and no other questions other than 'does anyone have a recipe' for a 9mm reload - AND with a rifle powder shown.

This suggests to ME he has very limited experience with reloading, most likely new and probably not ever 'cracked' a manual. It's possible he is getting all his info from reloading websites (not all of them good) but he would at least known about load data on powder manufacturer websites.

I read about far too many people who are diving into reloading with no research, and trying to get all their info from the internet, asking questions - including those for common load data that is easily found on a MANUFACTURER website, or the good 'ol manuals like most of us 'long term' reloaders used - and they still need to be !

Yup.. A couple months ago I saw people at shows buying a press and powder and a die set. Talking with the seller later as I was also shopping parts..he said they were headed home to make ammo. No manual... And they were obviously newbs. What scared me was they mentioned the sipper that comes with lee kits and I overheard them asking/saying... About just leveling it off and scooping powder.

No scale... Etc.

Yikes!

People are getting into stuff thru desperation... And not doing their homework.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
I agree, totally

My response was NOT directed at you or anyone, specific. It was a generalized statement, that seems to have struck a nerve. Which being written vs spoken word, was taken out of context.

My ramble was because of several OPs from newbs and the responses posted.

SAFETY is #1 and #2 is to repeat safety checks before proceeding.

A big problem with the younger generation (and society, in general) is the want/need for "instant gratification". Calm teaching and emphasis on safety will be better accepted and retained, than any admonitions, ever will

Your species posts, your attempt to talk to me, in assuming your greater knowledge, experience, superiority, age, whatever WAS what I was posting. ASSuming will not promote understanding.

Of course, if the goal is to maintain your own little Mount Olympus of gods, with a few subjects bowing before you, continue.

The newbs will go elsewhere. Newbs are new to the forum, not necessarily new to firearms or life.
Dude..chillax... The poster mentioned 380... That could be a rifle powder.

If he meant hp38. ..it has reload data on the can.

It's on hodgdon website.

It's in a manual.

He apparently isn't using those resources... That's a little scary.

And the hp38 / h380 typo.. Not being rude.. But there isn't room for typo in powder names that are similar... That's like a moved decimal place.. Could cause catastrophic problems.

Like testing dud bombs with a hammer....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yup.. A couple months ago I saw people at shows buying a press and powder and a die set. Talking with the seller later as I was also shopping parts..he said they were headed home to make ammo. No manual... And they were obviously newbs. What scared me was they mentioned the sipper that comes with lee kits and I overheard them asking/saying... About just leveling it off and scooping powder.

No scale... Etc.

Yikes!

I was TAUGHT to reload, in HS, by a school teacher, using his equipment.

A few years later, I was, moved from area and working. A friend at work was talking about reloading with his new "kit". I was interested.

THIS

is what he had bought.
Scared the crap out me.

I started saving and bought a Rock Chucker "kit".

I do have several of those dippers. I do not use them for putting powder into brass.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep - and not even knowing if they even WANT to reload. It's not for everybody.

And when this passes (like it always does) there will be lots of reloading gear up for sale.

During the 'last' four years I saw probably more reloading gear up for sale than I ever had. Most of it unused and some in amounts sold by one person that were dramatically higher (in value and quantity) than I have ever owned (or spent on) in over 40 years of reloading!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
As a relative noob, I too have seen that the overwhelming number of posts are made by a core group of members. I have oft wondered what it would take to encourage more newcomers to be more active. I am one of those people that never meets a stranger, @tuckerd1 can probably verify that 😁 😁, and in such, I quickly rack up a post count and hope to make some worthwhile contributions in the meantime.

·
Super Moderator
42,066 Posts
After reading all of the responses, I have nothing clever to offer, like "be kind to the new guys" or "are you sure of what powder are you using. I can only say:

Buy a manual and read the dang thing!

Oh wait, was that too unkind? If so, sorry! Reloading is not a game, it is, however, rocket science on a small scale.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts