The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Flying screwdrivers - in Russia, screwdriver screws YOU!
Seriously, what type of real world results have these had? I almost bought some of the Lehighs to handload when nothing else was available.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've loaded a few of those 90grn bit tips. They are much harder than jacketed. I feel like they put a lot of wear on the bore so only loaded a few to test. Unless you crimp in the groove the brass wont hold them from spinning - the solid is just too hard for the brass to grab or bite. The ones I have are 354.5 diameter. They didn't group as good as tc, xtp, or cast for me. The rest I have not used will set on the shelf a long time before being loaded in anything.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
From what I can recall some of the design work pretty well whereas some design perform rather poorly in regards to effectiveness on target.
A decent 115 grain JHP works better for a fraction of the price and less wear on the barrel.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Those are supposed to be "penetrators" for increased penetration which is the opposite of a JHP. I have my 10 mm Glock which is debatable on being able to shoot hardcast so I decided to avoid the debate on Hardcast in a Glock and just get the Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game 10 mm mono-metal 190 gr.

Household hardware Cylinder Gun accessory Ammunition Metal

I have never tried the Lehigh Penetrators, but they are about 130 gr in 10mm if I remember correctly compared to 190 gr above. The wide meplat is a proven design for penetration with a hard cast or mono-metal bullet. I am not sure how the penetrators hold up with bones and teeth in a self defense situation with a nasty predator.

So, I will stick with the proven wide meplat mono-metal bullet design from Buffalo Bore. And mind you, I hope to never have to prove them either.

·
Premium Member
15,934 Posts
They gotta come up with something new to sell. Especially for those who require something be "new and improved", whether it is or not.

Reactions: jim brady and Firpo

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
When I first sat them I thought they were frangible self defense bullets, then after a little reading I learned something new. Lehigh Defense has developed a number of special rounds for US Special Forces Operators. From Wiki:

“Lehigh Defense patented Fluid Transfer Monolithic (FTM) technology. On impact with a soft target the FTM "flutes" on the bullet ogive channel tissue and fluid radially from the bullet's path causing wounding similar to hollow-point bullets. The main benefit of an FTM bullet is its ability to penetrate intermediate barriers, such as windshield glass, without deforming”

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flying screwdrivers - in Russia, screwdriver screws YOU!
Seriously, what type of real world results have these had? I almost bought some of the Lehighs to handload when nothing else was available.
Hello armoredman, log onto YouTube and click on the following link:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks like that middle one would ignore Kevlar.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Pyrite. (1) Don't know if the pointed version would ignore Kevlar but Fort Scott Munitions calls them TUI as in Tumble Upon Impact. (2) Is that your profile? Looks like Morgan Woodward. A much better actor, in my view, than what he was credited.

·
Super Moderator
30,448 Posts
Looks like that middle one would go clear through and endanger someone behind.

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Yup.. Im not overly fond of super penetration bullets... Don't want thru shots... Self defense speaking...

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like that middle one would go clear through and endanger someone behind.
Hello howlnmad. According to Fort Scott Munitions the bullet begins tumbling as soon as it enters a cavity. You be the judge. Click on
and see for yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts