The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to reloading and want to reload Speer 9mm, 124gr GDHP over 5.2gr of Unique which is the starting load for this bullet. The powder fills the case so that when the bullet is seated to the recommend COAL of 1.120" it looks like the bullet will be sitting on the powder...that makes me nervous, is there a concern here?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Filling the case to the bottom of the bullet is a good thing. As the others have noted, your load is not compressed. A compressed load is "compressed", meaning the powder level is much higher than yours, and is actually squished. Every reloading manual I know of notes if a charge will be compressed by the bullet listed, sometimes by a small "c" or an asterisk. A compressed load is safe...

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
I just checked the Hornady #10 and see that they don't list a Gold Dot and the only HP they have listed is the XTP. The load showing for Unique is minimum of 4.0 grains and maximum of 5.0 grains. I don't know what differences in profile there is between GD and XTP but that is a pretty fair difference in starting loads of your 5.2 and my 4.0!

I did check the Alliant website also and I will still say that your load is safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guy's your responses made it clear for me. I'm using the Speer reloading manual and two scales so I'm sure of my charge but I've been loading 38 special cartridges and even with Trail Boss there is plenty of room in the case so seeing that 9mm case fill up made me stop and ask the question. I think my understanding of a compressed load was wrong as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Filling the case to the bottom of the bullet is a good thing.
Excuse the comment plz:
Just to be on the safe side. While he is speaking specifically of this load in this instance, and to stave off an assumption:
He is not stating that you arbitrarily fill various other pistol loads to the bottom of the bullet. Stick to the manuals as many cartirdge loads do not fill the case.

·
Registered
951 Posts
so seeing that 9mm case fill up made me stop and ask the question.
In cases like this stopping and reconsidering/asking around is always a good thing.
If I am loading something new I will try to cross check with some other sources and see how they compare.
However like Gdmoody mentioned that does not always make it clearer, the Hornady manual mentions a 5.0 grain max. load, however with a pretty short COL. (I didn't mention it before because I did not want to muddy your waters too much)
The Nosler book gives a 5.6 grain max load which agrees more with the Alliant data so I said it would be safe.
In this case I would go with Alliant data all the way since it is the only recipe using the exact same components you are using.

Since you are new, make 1 or 2 dummy rounds first and see how they function. (search plunk test) if they are good make a few rounds and test them. Do not make a few 100 and than test them, they reason will quickly become obvious ;)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The OP got good info, but let's not add confusion with conjecture and assumptions. OP stated he used a charge out of his manual. OP stated he looked in the case and saw what to him was a full case and was concerned with compressing the load. He also stated in a later post he was using two scales and was sure about the charges. He also stated the he is using the book OAL for his particular bullet (I too use 1.120" for my 124 God Dots). And yes, I know replies are made to a screen name that has unknown experience and mechanical/logical abilities, but in this case the most important factor is the OP is using data from his manual. The OP didn't state what manual he was using, but the correct data/info was offered by drymag's post (#5). from the Speer manual...

When experienced reloaders talk (write) to each other we can add a lot of slightly off topic theories/information and that's fine, but for a new reloader admitting he uses his manual, most info outside the original question is possibly confusing and unnecessary...

If I offend anyone, my apologies. From my experience in working with apprentices and teaching a bit on electric/electronic technology, I am a firm believer of K.I.S.S. While the added info/theory is a not bad thing it can get out of hand and just "muddy the waters" for a new brother...

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
He got the answer to his question in the first three replies! Anything added was just people talking (writing) about their experiences, since the question was answered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts