A bad round?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

El Cuarto
    (5/13/02 6:54:14 pm)
    Reply A bad round?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In April I bought a used Remington tube-loading semi-auto 22 at a gunshop. My wife and I went to a shooting range and tried it. We took turns shooting ten rounds each. We both enjoyed it because we had not used a semi-auto before, only my old bolt-action single-shot and my clip-loading bolt-action 22-magnum. However, as we had almost finished a box of 50 cartridges, my wife fired a round that sounded different. She had a black streak on her trigger finger and black powder on her face above and below her shooting glasses. I found a cartridge case in the chamber that was swollen all the way around for a short distance in front of the rim with a hole blown out of it at one point. When we got home I ran my cleaning rod down the barrel to see if there was anything in the barrel, but there was nothing, so it must have fired the bullet all the way out.

We took the gun back to the gunshop because my wife refused to use it again. The gunshop took it back and gave us credit for the purchase price, so we plan to buy another one soon. One of the employees there said the accident happened because of the old ammunition that I was using. It was some Remington "Hi-Speed Kleanbore" 22 Long Rifle with a DuPont label on it. We got it from the home of my wife's great-aunt, who died last year. I had no idea how old it was. One of the gunsmiths mentioned a risk of "pre-loading" with an semi-auto. Nobody had a definite explanation for what happened.

If it was caused by bad ammunition, what about it was bad? Could a round be fired that was not fully seated in the chamber? Would anything like that have happened in my bolt-action rifle?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/13/02 6:58:30 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: A bad round?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model 550 or Model 552?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/13/02 7:40:28 pm)
    Reply Re: A bad round?
    Over the years I have had several .22`s do this. A small burnout just at the rim, where the case starts. Caused by several things, but mine always seemed to be a dirty chamber. It allowed the feeding and chambering, just not all the way and depending on the breechface (auto) cut out....that`s where the burnout would appear. Only had one egg a barrel, it was a 550-1 Remington "Floating Chamber"...but it was mostly my fault...I was a young`un, heard the different report.....but kept on squeezin. Have a fondness for that very gun and bought two a few years back....one had an egged barrel too. No doubt, same thing. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

El Cuarto
    (5/14/02 5:24:23 pm)
    It was a model 552 Remington.

El Cuarto
    (5/14/02 5:27:45 pm)
    What is an egged barrel?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/14/02 5:51:41 pm)
    A barrel with a bulge in it.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

El Cuarto
    (5/14/02 6:54:27 pm)
    Does this sort of thing happen only with semi-autos? I am asking because I can't imagine this happening in my bolt-action single-shot rifle. I want to buy a gun that my wife will feel safe to use and if this business of a cartridge not being fully seated in the chamber and blowing out the back is only happening in the semi-autos, then I will not buy a semi-auto.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/14/02 8:26:14 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: A bad round?
    It is unlikely to happen with a bolt-action since you would not be able to close the bolt fully and would realize something was not right. It does not generally happen with semi-autos, either.

The most likely culprit, as suggested, would be excessive fouling causing the cartridge to not fully seat in the chamber. The entire rifle should be detail stripped and cleaned, the chamber should be inspected, as should the fire-control assembly especially the disconnector mechanism.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/14/02 8:32:50 pm)
    It can happen on any rifle made, it is not just semi-auto`s. I have had it happen to me several times in the past, key word "several" I shoot well over a 1,000 rounds of .22 rimfire a month, key word here "OVER". If you shoot a lot, your going to have different things happen. I have had double charged .22`s blow out extractors, firing pins and magazines..(ammo, not the gun) Bullets lodged in the barrels from a squib round and numerous other things. Depending on the type of bolt gun and the vent design, they can be much more dangerous that a semi-auto, so always keep that in mind. It appears since your wife had on glasses, you are safety aware. I say, shoot on and enjoy.....nothing is 100% cept death. Best LTS
    T.F.F.

El Cuarto
    (5/15/02 7:29:07 pm)
    OK, thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

What is a squib round?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/15/02 8:14:35 pm)
    Insufficient or no powder in the case.
    They tend to cause the bullet to not leave the barrel and if you don't notice it the next round can cause a bulged or blown up barrel.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 5/17/02 1:49:57 am