A cane for self defense.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ms6852, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I was thinking of buying a cane for self defense made of hickory. They are expensive but I think they are worth it as it is something I can carry into an airplane. I am still carrying conceal but am thinking this is a good non lethal item also will help keep away the 4 legged dogs at a distance. Was wondering if anyone here uses one for the same purpose I want to use it.

2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Carver used to make them.

ms6852, Rae Harrison, tedwitt and 2 others like this.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure how well you could swing one inside a 737 but it’s gotta be better than nothing. As long as you haven’t hidden anything sharp and pointy in the shaft you should be good.

4. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I have a couple with a grip similar to the handle on a police baton, t-grip I think it was called. Hardwood, one was hard maple with a walnut handle, the other hickory and a maple handle made to the right height for you, good looking sticks. I couldn't move well without one for a long while. It was about as solid as a baseball bat, sent a couple dogs on their way out of my path and on one occasion kept some unpleasantness from escalating. The gentleman who made them was out in Washington, and went by the name Ameri-cane or American Cane, sorry memory is vague on that. Mosaad Ayoob wrote a couple articles on them years ago when discussing less than lethal protection. And I never had a problem with TSA or other security points.

5. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And I still do on occasion. Working on one now for a friend. For those that are looking for a cane for SD, get one purpose made for the task. A few tactics:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9CA9A6B1224D52729E049CA9A6B1224D527&FORM=VIRE

Swinging one is not a good idea. They break, and then there is always the chance that the BG will take it away from you. Here's one for $35 that is purpose made for SD. The crook has been widened, and the grooves, and notches serve a purpose. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDWOOD-W...TIAL-ARTS-CANE-/332768569070?oid=232370169775

You could always pick one up at a flea market, or garage sale, and modify it your self.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  6. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

I use a cane everyday and never considered it a weapon. I will have to reconsider my choice of a cane and get one like in the @carver post.

carver, tedwitt and ms6852 like this.
  7. ms6852

I custom ordered one with a birds head where I can use the beak to puncture made of what they refer to as hickory thumper. Supposedly they harvest the wood during winter when the wood is full of sap and makes for a heavier denser wood.

I have to rethink my self defense options as I age where before I relied on my youth and strength and flexibility; as I am aging and all the injuries I suffered, my flexibilities are not what I remember. When I do my exercises and kicks and what not I am now popping louder and more rapidly than bubbles wrap. Mind is young, but the body is not. But not to worry as I still won't leave home without a gun and knife. I may forget my wallet but not my gun and knife.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    PBDriver, Arteest, Gun Geezer and 2 others like this.
  8. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Don't swing, jab.

Designer, carver and ms6852 like this.
  9. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

You know I just heard about them. I think is was Walk America? Or America Walks?

carver, ms6852 and tedwitt like this.
  10. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

I bought several at auctions for next to nothing.

I don't need them for walking or anything but back when those antifa nuts were raising cain every where I figured a good stout stick might come in handy and I'm 64. I can carry that thing any where I want and no one bats an eye. Half the year I have a long gray beard, put on my flat cap and people are giving me their seat and the senior discounts with out even asking.

11. Driverdan

Driverdan Well-Known Member

....no doubt in New York there will soon be laws that canes must be less than 18 inches and be flexible so as not to be used as a weapon...

12. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just go buy one of those collapsible walking canes from Walmart, or the pharmacy. They don't work well for keeping buggers off you!

tedwitt likes this.
  13. ms6852

I'll just avoid going to New York.

14. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Kinda reminds me of my Great great great x10 grampa George. He darn near was hung back about 1770 or so for beating some twerp to death with his stick. George was 60 something or more then. He was found guilty and scheduled to hang when the judge let him out and told him to run for the county line and don't come back. "If we ever see you again in this county the sentence will be carried out immediately."

gvw3 and carver like this.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm figuring all the cracking & popping I do whenever I exert myself, will scare most anyone away. I know it works with my DW. Trying to put some moves on in the bed room brings on that pouty face where she thinks I"m injuring body parts just trying to turn over.

sharps4590, tedwitt, carver and 3 others like this.