A Christmas Quandry

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by rawright54, Nov 23, 2016.

1. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a question about a gift I'd like to give to my stepmother, a wonderful woman who took on the challenge of raising two teenage boys, and did her very best despite the fact that we didn't come with a manual. I'm not terribly religious, so I stay out of this forum, but she is, having earned a Masters degree in Baptist Theology long ago. Her church teaches that the Internet is the tool of Satan, so despite having a nice computer, she's never owned a modem.

Given that background information, would I be offending her faith if I sent her a DVD of one of the most beautiful Christmas stories ever told? I'm speaking of the Trans Siberian Orchestra's video, The Ghosts of Christmas Eve, which presents the story of a lost little girl who long ago ran away from home, and feels she cannot ever go home. She spends a night in an old, abandoned theater and is given dreams by the kindly, ghostly caretaker, to teach her that she is forgiven, and is always welcome home. I think that part is fairly harmless and, to me, inspirational.

But the musicians are all long haired hippy types playing hard rock on electric instruments, backed up by a full orchestra, and I'm concerned that she might find this offensive, or even evil. Dad would have enjoyed it, but he was a musician, and appreciated the complexities of fine compositions regardless of the genre of the music. I'm not sure she's so open-minded, and I really don't want to shock her, at 80.

I know we have a broad range of folks here whose Christian faith covers the entire range from fairly sure to absolutely certain, and it's the latter group I'd like to hear from. I don't want to hurt this dear woman in any way - she has been wonderful to me and my late brother. But I really think she'd enjoy this DVD. Should I send it to her?

BlackEagle, joe45c, dbcooper and 2 others like this.
  2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning 54....I must comment right off how very touched I was with your ardent
    concern about not wanting to offend...I went back and read it twice for in a way, we are
    comparable in the respect of 'faith differences'....that being that I am not a religious person
    either...go to church for funeral services is about it...I say grace over my food and pray
    in my own presence...like you with your step-mom's faith, my wife is a fervent Mormon and most guests to our home are also...I attended spiritual services in Vietnam more than any
    for being I was often the senior enlisted person in the battalion, it was suggested by the
    Skipper (CO)and endorsed by the Chaplain that it would be appropriate...and to this day, I think that it was from the other battalion members.. Yeah 54, I was very touched by your humble concern of not wanting to offend....tough call...good luck with your decision...Chief

rawright54 and crystalphoto like this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If there was even a slight doubt about offending her, and evidently there is, I would pass on giving the DVD to her.

BlackEagle, Broot, Alpo and 5 others like this.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you are looking for music options for her gift, I can recommend any of the Christmas music videos from Celtic Woman. I can't imagine anyone being offended by them and they sing like angels.

BlackEagle, Broot, Iron Eagle and 7 others like this.
  5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I side with George on this. If there is any possibility that the gift might offend, don't go there. Choose something else. Go to the website of her school, and find a gift there. I'm guessing that they have a campus store.

BlackEagle, Broot, joe45c and 3 others like this.
  6. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Odd that you should mention that. Five minutes before posting the question, I ordered "Celtic Woman: A Christmas Celebration" for her.:D

jbmid1, dbcooper, BlackEagle and 5 others like this.
  7. Aspeck

Aspeck Active Member

Raw, appreciate your concern for this special woman. If I was to hazard a guess, and that is all that it would be, I would say your gut is right and she might not appreciate it as a gift. I would go with something different as a gift. But that said, I would take your copy the next time you visit and ask her to listen to it and give you her input on it as a musical piece and story line. This will give a better idea of her take on it for future thought ... or if she likes it, you can hand it to her and say, "Merry Christmas" and go out and replace your copy. And remember, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it!;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    dbcooper, BlackEagle, Broot and 5 others like this.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It really depends on her taste in music. I enjoyed it; the screen was looking a little fuzzy toward the end. I would never give it to dad. I know what he likes and dislikes. I gave it to my daughter...she works with kids in that age group and some are at risk of being runaways. I don't think she has viewed it yet. I think it would strike home with the kids she works with.

Celtic Women is good to listen to. Mannheim Steamroller has put out several Christmas albums.

crystalphoto and dbcooper like this.
  9. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

You did good

crystalphoto likes this.