The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend brought me a pistol to check out for use and possible sale. I combed through this web site, as well as several others, and can't find a match for it.

It's _not_ a top-break pistol. The grips (IJ on both sides) are possibly Bakelite, but I think might actually be vulcanized rubber.

The serial number is not where any of the sources I could find said it was: on rt. side, above trigger guard.

It looks exactly like the Cadet, but the top has no markings, and it has an 'aiming groove' that's markedly different from the Cadet.

Anyone have an idea when this was manufactured, and what the type is?

Thanks!

Dash

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The descriptions in Goforth's book make it a hybrid:

The letter code B is listed for .32 S&W caliber Cadet "Model 55-SA Variation 1 1963-1974" which had serial moved to right side, but the adress is listed as on top strap, and a half moon front sight.

"Model 55-SA Variation 2 1974-19748/79" had the new ramp sight with rib, but serial on left side.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
That's what I was thinking, a gun made during a change over on the line, made with characteristics of two guns. Fluted cylinders used in 58-60, loading gate in 61-62 and as hrf stated the B frefix was used to designate the 32 S&W caliber. The grips are 55A used between 1964 and 74, and the ramp and rib was used on the 55-SA Variation1, 1974-79. Iver Johnson, like Colt, never threw anything away, he just incorporated it into the line until all the old parts were used up ( that fact drives the Colt Single Action folks nuts ). I think your gun is a 55-SA made in 1978/1979 when Iver Johnson was liquidated, using parts on hand until the parts bin was empty. I really don't think that would effect the value all that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.