A Cure for AIDS - How Science matters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alaska444, May 22, 2020 at 3:08 AM.

1. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

With the overwhelming denigration of scientists and Medicine since the onset of COVID 19, here is a FASCINATING talk by Stephen J Obrien encompassing HIV, Coronaviruses, Yersinia Pestis (The cause of Bubonic Plague and the Black Death) and several others.

Dr. Obrien is considered the world's foremost expert on Cat genetics. It was my privilege and my honor to have spent a summer in his lab in the early 1980's when I was deciding between a career in Medicine or a career in molecular genetics. (at the end of the summer, he advised me to go into medicine since I did not have ONE topic I wanted to explore for a 5 year PhD)

In any case, for those who have a bit over an hour to hear one of the true treasures of the NIH alive today who has studied cat DNA and warped into a potential cure for HIV, it is a fascinating, at least to me, story of the interplay of a curious mind welded with scientific technology. We are NOT yet at a cure, but the possibilities from Dr. Obrien's research is tantalizing.

(Note: At the time I worked in his lab between my 3rd and 4th year of college, Robert Gallo, one of the co-discoverers of the HIV virus was the chief of this department. I only met Dr. Gallo one time at a lab picnic and I played volleyball against him.)

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 3:14 AM
    BlackEagle, Dungannon, Gudaki and 2 others like this.
  2. Alaska444

Here is a short summary of how Dr. Obrien's research has already resulted in new treatment options for HIV. It includes a short video of how the Delta 32 mutation prevents HIV infection.

http://www.delta-32.com/ccr5-delta32.html

Here is a National Geographic documentary on Dr. Obrien's research on the Black Plague. This segment is about 12 minutes only. The second post and this post give a short version of the first hour+ video above.

Note, this is 3rd of 4 parts. The entire show is well worth listening to and gives the same info in a simplified manner for non-science folks. The first video does go step by step how Dr. Obrien put this fascinating discovery together but is for a science audience, but I believe most is still enjoyable and understandable even without much of a science background.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020 at 12:05 PM

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Alaska...please take this as the compliment it is intended as.....you are so far above my head it's laughable....and it's my loss.

ms6852, BlackEagle, gvw3 and 6 others like this.
  4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Alaska -
    Watched the second you tube you sent and will get to the first one. Fascinating stuff and I wish I understood more; probably can not absorb any more as this is beyond my limited cognitive powers.
    Question for you. I once read that prior to the advent of The Black Death that there was only one (1) blood type that was shared by Europeans if not ALL of humanity - but as a result of the "Plague" people (the world over) developed / mutated to the array of blood types we now have?

ms6852 and Alaska444 like this.
  5. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Watched about a half hour of Dr. O'Brien and had to give it a rest. Again, this is fascinating and explains a lot of things; also is way over my head.
    Sometimes I wonder that the historic and well documented reduction in mammalian populations is not an evolutionary shift that we are undergoing with the end result being to save something for the future?
    One thing for sure, IMHO, there are too many people on this planet.

Alaska444 and joe45c like this.
  6. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Gates and Soros would agree with you on the population thing.

BlackEagle, ral357 and joe45c like this.
  7. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning All...On the subject of AIDS, you may recall often that I have spoke of
    son John getting that terrible condition in the late 80's and finally dying of it in mid-96.
    It was a terrible thing and I recall during that period that he was experienced with so
    many different medications...none seemed to help...I recall when I was working in the
    engineering section of St. Joseph's hospital here in Phoenix that in the early '80's it was
    referred to as the Haitian disease....Some of you have Johns Angel that I sent to you
    named in John's memory...they are around the world for I made them from his death
    up until my heart attack in May of 2018...Various publication told the story and that
    made of folks contacting me to order one or at least request one....A terrible, horrible
    disease that if there is medication for it, tis a good omen...Chief

ysacres, ms6852, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.
  8. Alaska444

Just doing what the Lord gave me to do. Any talents I may have had (yes had is correct) came from Him alone.

I Corinthians 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

The Lord humbles us all in His own way. Trust me, medicine is a very humbling profession. The works of our bodies left me scratching my head far too many times. No man compares to the Lord.

Don’t ask me to fix your diesel though, it won’t happen.

ms6852, BlackEagle, Dungannon and 2 others like this.
  9. Alaska444

396B86A8-1412-469A-BBD4-3033D75F2712.jpeg
    Yes, Dr. Obrien is an evolutionist and several of his papers are on the genetic foot prints of the evolution of different species.

Interestingly, the Bible contains much information on genetics. The Bible stated correctly sexual reproduction of mammals and plants from the book of Genesis nearly 4000 years before science figured it out.

There is also a very interesting comment that applies to genetics including DNA in I Corinthians 15: 39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

Very interesting since Flesh is the protein manifestation of the genetic code of each KIND of animal mentioned. DNA uses RNA in protein synthesis. If the flesh (i.e., the collection of an animals muscle proteins) are all different, then following the protein synthesis knowledge, we can infer that the DNA and RNA is also different.

So we have sexual reproduction from "seeds" of the woman and seeds of the man 4000 years before science got it right, we have Flesh between fishes, beasts and men being different and we can infer that their DNA is also different.

The Bible gets it right even though in a very simplified statement.

The Bible speaks of kinds in Genesis and again here in I Corinthians. Cats are Dr. Obrien's main research interest and the Bible is congruent with a common created ancestor for the cat “family" or more biblically, the cat kind.

https://www.pet-happy.com/how-lions-and-tigers-are-related-to-domestic-cats/

What throws a wrinkle in the evolution of cats is that modern Tigers and Lions, allegedly separated from a common ancestor 6 million years ago can still breed and produce offspring often called Ligers.

https://creation.com/ligers-and-wholphins-what-next

(Note, not sure I agree the cat "trees" in this article but the points they make are still interesting)

But cats and dogs do not have a common ancestor and we did not evolve from fish into frogs which became a prince except in one case.

An evangelist I met a couple of times had some excellent lectures on the Bible and Creation vs evolution. Most of the earth is still empty of people. Look around even here in the US.

He used to say, if where you live is too crowded, MOVE.

I was also an evolutionist until I became a born again Christian when I was 36. One of my first tasks after being saved was the issue of evolution. Science takes it as the “gospel” truth but really it is a collection of differing theories where none yet prevail (nor will they)

One such theory of evolution is punctuated equilibrium by Stephen J Gould. I read 8 books in two months after I was saved including one of his. He spent much time lambasting all the other theories that I simply applied his critiques to his own theories and it did not stand.

Evolution does not have the evidence they pretend it does. It is empty and devoid of actual proof beyond what is called microevolution within a family of animals.

Macroevolution, one kind of animal morphing into another kind has never been observed or proven.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    ms6852, BlackEagle, Dungannon and 2 others like this.
  10. Alaska444

No one has yet figured out the “evolution” of blood types of which there are many more than just the ABO groups. Here is an article going over the alleged common ancestor of man and apes 20 million years ago.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-mystery-of-human-blood-types-86993838/

ms6852 and Patches like this.
  11. Alaska444

Sorry to hear of your loss from this terrible disease. May the Lord comfort you in this.

rooter and BlackEagle like this.
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I have often thought about something. Jacob and Rachel. They had two kids--Joseph and Benjamin. She died having Benjamin. Could that have been an Rh incompatibility--mother is Rh negative, first child is Rh positive. She develops antibodies to Rh positive blood. So when Benjamin was born with Rh positive blood her antibodies reacted, resulting in death. When I was working in the lab, doctors always wanted to know mother's Rh so they could prescribe Rhogam if she was Rh negative to keep that kind of thing from happening.

Second question I've often wondered about. Genesis 30. Jacob did some genetics engineering with the flocks. His agreement with Laban was that he would have all the multi-color sheep and Laban would get the solid color sheep. Look at vv37 and following in that chapter. What could those rods have had to do with the genetics?

13. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Thank You Sir..Son John was a beautiful person who played roles in movies and TV..He
    looked very much like Donnie Osmond..He modeled clothes for major establishments such
    as JC Penny and Sears...It was his life style ...the life style he elected to live that ultimately
    claimed his life. Best Regards, Chief

Alaska444 likes this.
  14. Alaska444

Actually rH incompatability is not a danger to the mother, but a danger to the second born rH positive child. Rhogam is an immune vaccination against fetal blood cells in the mother's circulation especially after birth given to the mother who is rH negative with an rH positive child to prevent her from developing antibodies which can affect subsequent pregnancies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrops_fetalis

Reading the account of Rachel, it sounds as if she bled out which is still an issue at times after birth from various reasons. But the Bible is not definitive. Other things could be amniotic fluid embolus, infusion of amniotic fluid into the blood stream, or air embolus which can rarely occur during delivery. Blood clots can also cause embolism as well. So, no definitive reason for why she died, but there are many post partum dangers in childbirth.

As far as the rods, I can't correlate that to any genetic issue. It seems it was an act of God blessing Jacob, but so far, I have not found any "scientific" theory that fits. There are many parts of the Bible that remain unexplained and are part of the mystery of God that will one day be revealed. But right now, that still remains a mystery to me.

BlackEagle likes this.
  15. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Wife and I just finished watching the lecture in it's entirety. Fascinating and she is going to order his book "Tears of the Cheetah" as we both love to read. Thank you for posting.

Alaska444 likes this.