Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

A date on this Iver Johson topbreak?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by marcodelat, Apr 7, 2009.

1. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

This is an Iver Johnson .38 S&W topbreak I recently acquired.

I believe it's an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless New Model

The revolver is in excellent condition - very tight, very crisp trigger and action and a great bore.

The bluing is, I would say at 95% + it just presents some scratching on the cylinder.

I'd say this firearm has had very few rounds through it - if any at all.

The serial # on the trigger guard is 86956

There is a rollmark on the butt that says PAT. NOV 17

... here's some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first and only to now Iver Johnson firearm.

Comparing it with the few H&R revolvers I own I would say that the overall quality and finish here is quite a bit superior to that of H&R revolvers... seems closer to S&W quality here really

Any info on date of manufacture, model, etc. would be welcomed.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a third model hammerless. serial number D86956 was manufatured in 1922, when 5,300 of this model were manufactured. i agree when new I.J. did have a slight advangage on quality and when you consider all iver johnson safety automatic revolvers featured the Hammer the Hammer action (transfer bar ignition) they also had a safety advantage over all others.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)-------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 14 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125

bill

3. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Once again -

Thank you Mr. Goforth

As I hold this pistol in my hand looking at it, It's hard to believe that the firearm is all of 87 years old!

As for the comment on "quality" - well guess that I'll really be able to better judge once I find an older H&R that's in as good a condition as this IJ revolver is in.

Plan on finding a few more of these Iver Johnsons - not at all hard developing a liking and affinity for these revolvers.

Looking forward to purchasing your Iver Johnson book here in the next week or so...

Regards - marco