a Dillion failure

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by mudman35962, Jan 29, 2020.

1. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

have had a Dillion 550b for about 10 years. i load hand gun only on it. a lot. i guess about 100# of lead used. the darn thing broke. the rod that pushes the primer slide snaped.
    now this is the very first thing ever to fail on the blue beauty. which asks the question, how do they stay in business? oh...i forgot to mention, when i called they are sending a new part at NO cost to me. i have no second thoughts about buying a Dillion.

rick

drymag, shootbrownelk, Gudaki and 4 others like this.
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Same experience I have always had. I have no idea why I ever bought their spare parts kit. All you have to do is call them and a new part will be in the mail the next day.

drymag, BlackEagle, joe45c and 2 others like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I'm still working on purchasing a Dillon. I have a friend at church that has offered me his reloading equipment. He says that there is a progressive press included but didn't say what brand. Guess I'll have to wait and see. If it's not something that I will be happy with, a Dillon will be next. Just not sure if I want to go with the 550 or 750.

drymag, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  4. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

If they can provide that kind of service it just means they are way overpriced.
    LOL, just kidding ofc.
    Both Hornady and Dillon have been very good for me when parts eventually break.

@howlnmad 750 all the way ;) Or I'd get the 650 if it was cheaper, I see no reason to spend more for the 750 really unless it's only a few dollars.

drymag and howlnmad like this.
  5. tuckerd1

If you load 1000's of rounds per week go with the 750. Otherwise the 550 is what a normal loader would use. The 750 can be loaded up with brass, primer, powder and bullets and all you have to do is pull the handle. The 550 is loaded up with powder and primers and you will have to individualy insert brass and bullets and then pull the handle. The 750 with all the attachments will cost over double the 550 fully decked out.

6. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Glad to hear how good their customer service is.
    But I feel compelled to add that the Lyman turret press that is older than me, that I have been using for over 35 years has never broken.
    ;)

drymag likes this.
  7. tuckerd1

The initial cost does scare some people away. But, the service you receive afterwards is second to none. And the Dillons are simple to setup and use.

drymag likes this.
  8. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9. tuckerd1

Here ya go Bill.
    750 Giveaway

howlnmad likes this.
  10. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There was a time when you got what you paid for. I've been around a lot of years & that seems to be changing. Marketing has made products exist for many years on name recognition, long after the quality has faded.

drymag likes this.
  11. howlnmad

Thanks Don, entered every one that I could.

drymag, BlackEagle and gdmoody like this.
  12. tuckerd1

Ya know We are going to be flooded with emails

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I entered too. If I win, I will give it to ya, I would have to buy all of the paraphernalia to do all the calibers I do now on the 550!!

howlnmad likes this.
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Dang, I thought Matt might have had a misfire.
    :lol:

15. howlnmad

Oh, I didn't enter anyones email address from here. I bothered everyone with that before and Dillon wants them to reply. Not even gonna ask any of you to do me that favor.

drymag, BlackEagle and tuckerd1 like this.