a Dillion failure

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by mudman35962, Jan 29, 2020.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I was just thinking, Dillon could probably cut the cost of their presses by 1/3 if they'd stop giving them to every you-tuber that has a firearms channel. I've watched some that surprises me that they haven't blown their hands off.

drymag and accident like this.
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Bill, I was looking at the latest Blue Press catalog from Dillon and thought about you. To get a FULLY loaded XL 750 will cost $1334.91. To get a FULLY loaded RL 550C will cost $851.92. I know it is a tough decision to make. Good luck!

drymag, Dragstrip trash and howlnmad like this.

3. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

the circle is closed! the part came and is working as intended.
    great service from a great company on a great product!
    would i buy it again? you bet!

4. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Bill, if you want to I can set my 550 up for you to try in June. I will, of course, have it securely bolted to my bench. I've heard they like to run off to another guy's house

drymag, howlnmad and BlackEagle like this.
  5. tuckerd1

Only if you cheat on them!

drymag and howlnmad like this.
  6. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I bought their spare parts kit because these are the parts that will wear out. I have the replacement, can install it immediately, and then call and have the part sent. No downtime, you still get the part to replace in the kit.

7. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

I an pleased as punch that I was able to buy something from Dillon, and the Spare parts kit does its job nicely...money well spent! Mostly the things I get from the lads at Dillon are free, shipped free...makes me stop and think nice thoughts about the founder and his legacy.

drymag likes this.
  8. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

they do grow legs!

drymag likes this.
  9. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bill, I have also wondered this very thing. There are some real yahoos on you-tube giving advice. I can only assume they got their Dillon for free since they look like they can't even afford food or clothes.

10. Dragstrip trash

Dragstrip trash Member

I can't even imagine loading without a Dillon... makes it simple for me

drymag and mudman35962 like this.
  11. Pete MacMahon

Pete MacMahon New Member

yup, my RL550B is going strong since 1999 or so...... have no clue how many thousands of rounds it as produced. Just clean it every 500/800 rounds and replace the parts that come in the standard spare parts kit every so many years and they just keep chugging.

I will say I had an epiphany about 2 years ago when I finally got around to buying a couple new powder dispensers w/bin for creating separate quick swap tool heads. The newer design is way better than the original and I'm even thinking about retiring the original. The original used a spring for the return stroke, while the newer one is all mechanical. The original had fits with new brass that wasn't properly "prepped" by beveling the sharp edge off the inside of the case mouth. The new one powers through it much better, even though I've taken up better case prep habits over the years!

drymag, zant, howlnmad and 2 others like this.
  12. zant

zant Well-Known Member

They've rebuilt my 550 twice and a heavily shared 1050 once.I've bought parts that I broke because they've sent me so many other parts,I felt guilty........If American Auto manufacturers treated their customers like Dillon does-they were be very few foreign cars.

drymag, ral357, joe45c and 1 other person like this.
  13. tuckerd1

I've spent a lot of money with Dillon. I don't feel guilty when they replace a part.

14. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

The Kung Flu has given my chance to have a Dillon failure, a big kick in the cajones.

drymag likes this.
  15. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Hopefully you're feeling better by now 10 days later.