A Gen 2 SAA, and More General Question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BHogan, May 21, 2020.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For a collectable SAA Colt that is anywhere near $2000, I would think it wise to get a real appraisal from a known collector and appraiser.

I did some motorcycle work for a friend who died before I finished it. When I delivered the finished motorcycle to his widow she offered a choice of several of his guns. I had done the work for no expectation of compensation. She insisted I take one of the guns. There were several and one was a SAA Colt. I could not take it as I knew it was valuable and in the end put her in touch with an auction house that got here good money for it. Instead I took a re-finished Winchester 1890 22LR pump rifle which I had wanted for decades but never bought. I thought its value such that I would not be too greedy taking it. It had a shortened barrel (to 18 inches) and was obviously re-finished by someone who knew his trade well. Its collector value was no more than as a shooter which is its usage today. I considered its value equivalent to the work I had done for my deceased friend (again I had no expectation of charging my friend).

Bottom line almost any SAA Colt is very valuable. To me it makes no sense to buy a collectable version when you really want a shooter. A good Ruger would fit the bill, be stronger, and last longer. And it has the "look". I've been the "Italian" way and was not impressed and would not do it again!

LDBennett

Grizzley1 likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Ahh, I got you, did not think of those. I will say that if it will a handle THAT kind of RUger only load then it will handle any and all, since those are so much hotter than others, gdmoody loads don't hold a candle to them!!

BHogan and Grizzley1 like this.

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

As to Ruger's and their strength in 45LC: The lesser strength ones have a substantially thinner frame strap over the cylinder and look more like a SAA Colt than earlier versions.

The "loads" for Ruger's only is for the Blackhawk version (thick strap over cylinder) and are MAXIMUM loads not minimum loads. Any reloading manual published 45LC load, other than those MAX loads work, excellent in any Ruger. DO NOT use those MAX loads in any Colt SAA or Italian clone or the later Ruger's with the thinned strap over the cylinder. There are some illustrative pictures on the internet of what can happen if you do.

LDBennett

BHogan likes this.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would love to own a Colt SA. You can get them new for around $1800. I would be afraid to shoot it. I own a Ruger Vaquero and shoot it alot. I don't think you can wear one out. If you plan on shooting a lot of ammo I would go with the Ruger. If you are not going to shoot a lot the Italian SA will be good as they are closer to a real Colt. Nevertheless I don't think you will ever stop wanting a Colt neither will I.

BHogan likes this.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The two Vaqueros pictured in post #9 are both early series examples which I bought about fifteen years ago. They're based on the Super Blackhawk's frame & cylinder dimensions, wheras the later ones are based on the somewhat scaled down Blackhawk frame & cylinder - more in keeping with the Colt SAA's dimensions and weight.

sharps4590 likes this.
  6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I had a Cimmaron (Uberti) SA clone, I traded it off for a Ruger Bisley after I shot a friend's Bisley. The Ruger was a much better revolver and I got 50 bucks more in trade in value than I gave for the Uberti. :)

BHogan and sharps4590 like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I don't have any clones right now. I did until a year ago when I gave my 32-20 to my oldest son. I do have a 3rd Gen. 45 Colt with 5 1/2 in. barrel. I guess almost 30 years ago I bought a trot line weight 1st. Gen. Colt in 32-20 with 5 1/2 in.barrel and had it restored by....oh shoot, his last name was Schultz from Lawton, Iowa I believe. He did a bang up job of it. Fire blued screws and ivory grips. Mr. Colt Single Action, Ray Maebaum of St. Louis recommended him. There's another 3rd Gen. Colt New Frontier, 44 Spl. with a 7 1/2 in. barrel in the toy box and lastly a Buckeye Ruger with a 6 1/2 in. barrel,, also in 32-20 with a 32 H&R Mag. cylinder. I don't remember the last time I shot the New Frontier or the 1st Gen. Colts. I had the 3rd Gen. 45 out a couple years ago. I had a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 in. barrel in 45 Colt I should have my head examined for selling. What could be done with that revolver all the way out to 500 yards was remarkable....AND I SOLD IT!!!

nmck, so a fella should be able to tell the two Vaquero's apart fairly easily, yes?

8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In a quick glance at arm's length probably not. If placed side by side, sure. It'd be much the same as placing a Super Blackhawk .44 and Blackhawk .357 side by side - the dimensional differences would then be apparent. .

sharps4590 likes this.