A good holster?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ARB, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I have really been wanting to carry my Colt Combat Commander but am concerned about wear. You see, last year I bought a leather holster for my Px4 Storm and have noticed that the finish is getting rubbed off where it comes in contact. That is upsetting enough but I really don't want something like that to happen to the Commander. The nylon ones from Uncle Mikes seem good enough but not very sturdy. Anyone, got a suggestion?

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

holster wear is a part of life..... but you can get any quality holster for big name holster makers lined. lined holsters are more forgiving to the finish of a gun

3. It's pretty hard to avoid at least some holster wear on any blued handgun, ARB. It's the nature of the beast, so to speak. ;) The problem lies with the fact that if a holster does its job properly--supports the weapon well while allowing smooth access--it must come in contact with the weapon. The result is going to be some degree of wear to the finish over time no matter what you do. There are some holsters made of artificial materials that claim to be easier on the finish than leather, but personally I've never found them satisfactory. They tend to droop. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. A carry weapon's purpose is not to look pretty, it's to protect your life if it's needed. Just my $.02 worth. ;)

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Holstering / drawing a weapon will eventually wear the finish. There isn't a way to 100% prevent it, but you can reduce it. Leather holsters will wear a firearm less than kydex holsters will. No offense to those who prefer kydex.

One thing that will make a big difference is to get a holster that is made specific to your firearm. There are some really good deals out there on cheap holsters (and some pricier ones too) that will fit any handgun in a specific size range. Holsters that have the shape of the gun boned into them will distribute the pressure between the firearm and the holster and have fewer "wear points".

There are countless manufacturers out there that make good holsters. I won't go into that list, but I'm sure others will have suggestions.

Character, right?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. ARB

ARB New Member

LurpyGeek, the holster I have is made by Gould &Goodrich. It is designed for the Px4 but everytime I draw the front sight comes out with cow on it. Take the good with the bad I guess.

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The way to maintain the finish on a blued handgun is to leave it in a draw at home, preferably with some soft woollen clothing.

If finish is important to you on a carry gun, which by the way is fine, go stainless.

Incidentally, got to go with Pistol on nylon, I had a couple of Uncle Mikes and they were just too floppy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

drat. hard to put one past those crafty brits. go stainless..... wish i had thought of that answer

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I've got an excellent cheapo holster that I can't recall right now, it's nylon though and has far surpassed my expectations (the ~$30 holster was just going to tide me over until I could afford a "real" one). Of course the USP is so beastly anything would hold it, and it's SS so finish isn't a concern :D.

9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out the Lo-Profile Holster at www.wilsoncombat.com

It's a very comfortable holster when used with a gunbelt.

10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Anyone have any experience with the holsters offered by Dillon?

11. Quite correct in many ways, Lurpy. Any firearm, to me anyway, is a highly personal object, and however metaphysical or anthropomorphic it may sound, it takes on a character all of its own over time. Normal holster wear just says "hey, I'm a highly reliable tool, used for its intended purpose."

12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I know exactly what you mean Pistol, about a gun having character, not the metemorphic stuff, you lost me on 'however'.

Call me weird but I love a gun with honest wear. That is to say from actual use and being carried as opposed to abuse. :)

Holster wear, or brushed blueing around the front and back straps, It just tells a story.

13. ARB

ARB New Member

Doesn't resale come into consideration? Some of my pistols I would never part with. However, you may want to trade one in, if after awhile you realize it is not a good fit. I tell you what though, my next carry piece WILL be a stainless steal one.

14. dw4570

dw4570 New Member

Some buy guns for investment and some to use. I have a couple I won't carry in the woods, they're just too pretty. But the ones I hunt with and the ones I carry are going to get worn, scratched and dinged. If I worried about it I would never enjoy the experience of carrying and shooting. Chances are those won't get sold till I'm with the Lord anyway and then I really don't care. Wife may only get half value for them but she still has that darned life insurance I've been paying on. BTW - Don't forget Don Hume when looking for good holsters.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009