The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking for some input for an A.H. Fox Sterlingworth 12ga.

Have an opportunity to pick one up for $850, serial number 98751. It is in excellent condition. 28" barrel.

Is $850 reasonable with the little info I was able to provide? What is it roughly worth?

Only pics I was sent

·
Registered
353 Posts
weljer61,

From the pictures you have posted, to me it looks like the receiver, and probably the barrels, have been re-blued. The receiver was originally case colored and NOT blued.

Wood looks refinished too.

$850 is NOT a reasonable price if my assessment is accurate.

If the barrels have been hot blued, and not rust blued, the solder that holds both barrels and top and bottom rib together may be compromised and may actually loosen and begin to separate either with just age but may be accelerated with shooting.

$300 - $400 would be more realistic if everything works correctly now with no cracks, splits, barrel problems, etc. But don't be surprised if barrel problems occur later on. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

You pays your money, you take your chances. Better to find something that has no "issues".

Hope this helps and hope you get some other opinions.

Jolly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, it looks like someone reblued the barrels and also blued the receiver, which orignally would have been case-colored. I woulld definietly pass on this one for $850 - it's worth about half that amount at best, althought the wood does look nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts