The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tree Forest Plant Woodland Wood This shotgun belonged to my grandfather and I inherited it at Christmas time. I've taken it to my local gun shop for a professional cleaning and they've told me I have something pretty special. Since the gun belonged to my late grandfather that's special enough to me but I was wondering if someone could give me any info on the age and history of this Shotgun? I'll attach a few pictures for reference. Also, the gun shop did tell me that the gun was JB welded at some point underneath the barrel (shown in picture) and referred me to a gunsmith for repair. That may be in the guns future! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Welcome to TFF and thanks for sharing Grandpa's Fox. I'm not an expert but there are several here, one will be along to help you out.

·
Premium Member
15,069 Posts
Nor am I a Fox gun aficionado but I do know the Philadelphia gums are more desirable. How special that one is I have no idea. Usually they can be bought for something under $1500 unless it's one of the upper grades and in fine, original condition. Re-blued, stock refinished and barrels honed they go for a lot less so don't think of restoring it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had my grandfather's gun it would never be for sale anyway. I'd restore!
Absolutely. This will be my "Cleaning it wile I sit down with my daughters first boyfriend" or "Teach my son to shoot" shotgun haha (If I ever have kids that is). The gun shop said that a restoration (or at least fix the JB weld) would only be needed if I wanted to shoot it regularly. I would definitely like to shoot it again so a restoration is definitely in it's future.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Logan,

Your question: "I was wondering if someone could give me any info on the age and history of this Shotgun?" was pretty much answered by sschrad above.

Judging from your pictures, the gun has seen plenty of use and in overall in just GOOD condition. No finish left, repair of the lower rib and one of the extractor guide pins is missing. Would hope the gun is other wise solid and original with no cracks in the stock, barrels not cut and no significant dents or pits.

A full restoration would not be a good use of your money. A basic cleanup coupled with a good inspection by someone very familiar with side by side shotguns would be helpful. They could advise on shooting it and with type loads. They would definitely be light target loads if that.

Treasure it for what it is don't get too deep in fixing it up. If everything is original and functional, locks up tight and barrels not significantly pitted or dented, but just shows lots of use, I would estimate the retail value to a motivated buyer would be less that $1000. Probably more in the $500 - $750 bracket.
Just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Jolly

·
Registered
711 Posts
My dad shot trap and owned a Fox single trap model in the late 1920's and through the 1930's. Said it was the best shot gun he ever owned. His goose and duck gun at the time was a double ten gauge Ithaca.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts