A little braggin here!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

BlackGun
    (12/21/01 8:27:29 pm)
    Reply A little braggin here!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Over the past year, I have posted several pictures with my intel video cam. Poor quality to say the least! Meantome gave me one of my Christmas presents early, a Sony Digital Camera with 10X zoom and wide angel. I couldn't think of a better picture to take first, other than my custom built Ruger 10/22 HAND crafted by , my bud, Andrew Petty AKA AntiqueDr. This weapon of destruction has proven itself at the range with the below shown BSA scope to shoot all rounds touching with-in the size of a dime at 100 yards, with no fliers.

Thank you Andrew for your friendship and craftsmanship! My pride, as I present:

BLACK BEAUTY

IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 12/21/01 10:50:48 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/21/01 8:43:48 pm)
    Reply Re: A little braggin here!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sweet BlackGun - very sweet.

Your wife got you a very nice camera as I've used one before and they are great.

Love the rifle!

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/21/01 11:40:22 pm)
    Nice looking gun, good camera (have one), good looking powder dispenser (used to have one)

warpig883
    (12/22/01 12:04:01 am)
    You lucky dog, a new camera and a fancy shooting gun.

Why is there a DR. Suess book stuck in with the stuff behind the gun?
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/22/01 6:33:56 am)
    Warpig, you must have some mighty good eyes to see a Dr. Suess book in that picture. I used a madnafiying glass to look and I couldn't read a word on anything. Of course the biggist I can get the picture 3 inches by 4 inches.Rorghly 25% of the screen.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/22/01 8:58:29 am)
    Great picture and rifle BG. Piggy, if you look really close, you can see the book is a very rare Dr. Suess Reloading Manual.

cointoss 2
    (12/22/01 11:59:22 am)
    Blackgun nice one, and I have a Sony Mavica as well. Anyone notice that the Dr. Seuss book is The Grinch Stole Christmas?
    cointoss2

BlackGun
    (12/22/01 12:51:43 pm)
    procrastinator is picking on me, The Hornady powder dump is his! A gift of love!

IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

BlackGUN

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/22/01 6:06:34 pm)
    I want one, no two.........
    "Be grateful that you are not getting all the government you are paying for"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/23/01 12:40:36 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: A little braggin here!
    I like it BG!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

warpig883
    (12/23/01 6:07:43 am)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

2. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Guest

A 10-22 that shoots "All rounds touching at 100 yds" is a treasure indeed.
    I have built a lot of 10-22's into so-called target rifles and never had that sort of accuracy.
    One of the problems with the 10-22 autoloader is that to function as an auto loader it has to have a looser chamber than say a bolt action rifle. This loose chamber doesn't lend itself to great accuracy. The cartridge can sit any which way in there. The chamber just isn't very tight.
    The second problem with the 10-22 is that it's bolt block fit is not precision as compared for instance to a winchester 52 B bolt action target rifle.
    The sloppy 10-22 bolt tends to sit in a different position every shot. (Microscopically speaking).
    As time eventually wears the receiver and the slides of the 10-22 bolt accuracy is further lost. (The front face of the bolt can also be honed down to help hold the cartridge in a tighter position.)
    A solution to this problem is to epoxy feeler gage shims into the receiver to remove side to side slop in the bolt.
    Because the action is a blow-back type, the residue of powder builds up on the bolt and breech face and further accuracy is lost.
    Rugers new hammer forged barrels for the 10-22 have gone a long way to improving accuracy.
    Variations in most ammo manufacture preclude us getting away without fliers in any 10 shot group. Especially at 100 yards. The same ammo will also shoot differently in two identical weapons.
    My win 52B sporter shoots fantastic using Winchester Power Point ammo whereas the same ammo does not work well in the 52B target rifle.
    Shooting 1/4 " groups at 50 yards will translate into 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yds, even without wind effects.
    The best I've ever shot at 100 yds was down a 100 yard long concrete drain pipe.(No wind) The group was just over 1 inch. I used a Martini actioned target rifle.
    Jim

3. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy Member

Wher is the pic? Doesn't show up on my computer.

4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss Active Member

Our forum was originally hosted by another webhosting company, using their forum software. When we moved to our present webhost and purchased our own forum software, we had to transfer all the posts from the other site. Unfortunately, the pictures did not come over when we transferred.

5. Bill

Bill Guest

Shooting 1/4 " groups at 50 yards will translate into 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yds, even without wind effects.
    The best I've ever shot at 100 yds was down a 100 yard long concrete drain pipe.(No wind) The group was just over 1 inch. I used a Martini actioned target rifle.
    Jim[/QUOTE]

All things being equal with no wind a 1/4 group at 50 yds should theoretically translate to 1/2 inch at 100 yds. My 10-22T at 50 yds with factory hammer forged barrel shoots groups of 4 as one raged .25 inch hole, CCI Blazers. I would expect it to group less than one inch at 100 yds with wind not being a factor. This is not to say that me or the gun could keep all rounds in that tight of a group. I think its me or the ammo but I usually get about one flyer outa 5 shots.
    Bill

6. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Guest

Hi Bill,
    Great to get to know you.
    You are correct about the 1/4" becomming a 1/2" at 100 yds. However there are so many other factors that cause problems that we have no control over.
    One is that the bullet drops back through the sound barrier. That is one reason why low velocity ammo can have greater accuracy than HV stuff.
    The bullet becomes unstable in those conditions.
    There is also a factor called "Ground Effect" where a layer of air close to the ground is denser than that above. The light 22 bullet can skip or ride on this layer. If you know any model airplane fliers ---especially Glider types, they will tell you how a plane will float on and on and on and has to be forced down through the layer.
    This invisible layer can have swells and humps just like surf and plays havoc with the bullet.
    Then there is "haze" that apparently lifts the target into a different position and causes high fliers.
    I think there are other factors that just don't double the size but do it to the square ie.Times 4
    Scope parallax is another problem as well.
    Regards
    Jim

7. Bill

Bill Guest

Jim brought up some ineteresting variables however, ground effect on real airplanes is noticable 1/2 the wing length above the ground. Its like a cushioning effect...I don't think the same phenomena would affect a .22 cal bullet several feet above the ground. However different air layers, temps etc certainly would affect accuracy. Going over grass then sand would change the air temps densities etc. Me thinks the airplane analogy is inaccurate.

Most quality scopes will be virtually parallax free at 100 yds or more. Parallax is more of a problem at shorter ranges.

I'd like to know more about haze effect if anybody can help here. Never heard of it. Refraction, caused by looking thru air at long distances, typically causes the object to appear higher than it is. For example when the first edge of the sun is seen coming above the horizon, the sun's edge is actually below the horizon. These two phenomena are likely not related either but I'd like to learn more about the haze effect and any other known long distance shooting variables.
    Take care, Bill

8. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Guest

however, ground effect on real airplanes is noticable 1/2 the wing length above the ground. Its like a cushioning effect...

Hey Bill,
    I'm talking about ground effect on a MODEL airplane which has a wingspan of 6 ft. !/2 of that is at 3 ft where we tend to shoot.
    This layer of air moves in waves and ebbs and swells as well. When pouring over the target berm acts like a waterfall in turbulence.
    You can feel it happening in very light breeze when the soft wind momentarily changes direction. I think. :) As said to someone else, It didn't make me a better shot.
    Jim