The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,184 Posts
Like he said it is not the manufacturers that are the problem it is the new gun owners that have never owned a gun before are hording ammo like they do with Toilet paper. I know of a few that do not even own any reloading equipment that bought up bricks of primers just because they were available now I can't get any from anywhere. the only ammo available is a small amount of .22lr.

·
Premium Member
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son and I use a lot of shotgun target loads. During the Obama ammo shortages, we never had a problem getting all we needed. This time is different. They are buying all the shotgun shells even target loads.

·
Banned
122 Posts
I am going to call BS, feel free to correct me with some evidence to the contrary, Many people think there are over 8 billion rounds of ammo sold in the US each year, before the pandemic or election. ATF: 423M guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1B rounds of ammunition a year (washingtonexaminer.com)

I the "new demand" is 700 million rounds that is 700,000.000 divided by 8,000,000,000 if my math is correct or an increase of 8.75%. That is an increase, absolutely and people will hoard it under the 2 pending crises, the Covid and the Biden. That being said, why is the price now 3-4 times what it was when the factory can restrict the retain price and since they can sell all they can get, each retailer would be doing just as good or better than they ever have, because selling it is so easy.

Secondly, why is it so very scarce if production is up as he says? He says they are making more ammo than ever before, how much?

Walmart had 22% of the ammo market but now does not carry handgun and assault rifle ammo, so where is he shipping all that ammo now? Not sure I believe everything he said. Several financial reporters have said that the factories are simply not ramping up because of election fears, if Trump had won, ammo sales would fall flat. If Biden wins, then ammo may be taxed or restricted which will kill sales.

So, if anybody has anything to show the actual production numbers and where it is going I would be interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I am going to call BS, feel free to correct me with some evidence to the contrary, Many people think there are over 8 billion rounds of ammo sold in the US each year, before the pandemic or election. ATF: 423M guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1B rounds of ammunition a year (washingtonexaminer.com)

I the "new demand" is 700 million rounds that is 700,000.000 divided by 8,000,000,000 if my math is correct or an increase of 8.75%. That is an increase, absolutely and people will hoard it under the 2 pending crises, the Covid and the Biden. That being said, why is the price now 3-4 times what it was when the factory can restrict the retain price and since they can sell all they can get, each retailer would be doing just as good or better than they ever have, because selling it is so easy.

Secondly, why is it so very scarce if production is up as he says? He says they are making more ammo than ever before, how much?

Walmart had 22% of the ammo market but now does not carry handgun and assault rifle ammo, so where is he shipping all that ammo now? Not sure I believe everything he said. Several financial reporters have said that the factories are simply not ramping up because of election fears, if Trump had won, ammo sales would fall flat. If Biden wins, then ammo may be taxed or restricted which will kill sales.

So, if anybody has anything to show the actual production numbers and where it is going I would be interested in seeing it.
You used the term "Assault Rifle". That's a description used by Liberals. I hate that term.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
The liberal anti-gunners do not say assault rifle, because assault rifle is an actual thing.

They use the term assault weapon, which is an evil sounding term which actually means nothing.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Saw that video yesterday. I thought he did a great job. He was totally honest about the way people are annoying him and sending him nasty emails. Hornady put up a video yesterday, too.

·
Banned
122 Posts
You used the term "Assault Rifle". That's a description used by Liberals. I hate that term.
Sorry to offend. On this site, every knows, if not, they will know very soon. Walmart calls them assault type or assault rifles. Walmart introduces new gun restrictions but will they help? (oklahoman.com)

I am retired military and worked in several law enforcement both spanning over 50 years. I carried an M60 early in my career, 23 pounds, 4 boxes of linked ammo, 4 pounds each, so 16 plus 23=37 pounds, that was an assault rifle. When your partner carries the spare barrel and gloves to change it when it gets red hot, that is an assault rifle.

On the other hand, in law enforcement I refused to carry an assault rifle in my patrol units, did not prefer them, instead I carried a Mini-14. Today I have both styles. I am most fond of the Mini 30 and the AR in 7.62 x39. The latter is the best of the bunch, will shoot 1 inch at 100 yards and has some real thump with 150 grain hunting ammo.

So, messing with you now. I have folding stocks for my mini 30, so I can convert it to an assault type rifle by simply changing the stock or back to a hunting rifle in 2 minutes. I also have a nice Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 300 WBY that I inherited. It has a beautiful stock. So, I bought a Ramline black plastic stock for it, that I put on during hunting season. Poof, it is a black assault rifle in the winter and a nice show piece the rest of the year.

There is no telling how much money I have spent over 50 plus years of buying ammo at Walmart and many guns as well. We spend over $1,000 a month even now because of the pandemic and their drive thru grocery deal. I had 4 friends/family die already so we do not spend much time inside stores now. Walmart has gone the way of other rich and famous, they get the knee jerk reaction mentality and impose their social engineering on the public. However, they sell more of the foods that cause heart disease than anyone else in the country, so they kill more than any other retailer.

So, I will try not to use the evil term except in it's proper context. Thanks for the reminder. At least they still sell 22 and 22 mag for my miniature assault rifles and handguns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Ranger4, post: 2238307, member: 99151"]

Retail prices are up sometimes. Example: At the range where I am a member, 9MM is $18.95/box, limit 2 for members, 1 for the general public. This is up from $17.95 last year, an increase of just over 5%. This is easily explainable by overall increased cost of doing business in COVID restrictions, increased cost of supplies, shipping, hiring and training new employees.

At the gun store up the street, supplies are unlimited, but the cost is $39.95/box. This dealer is buying from a reseller at a marked up price and making a modest profit. It's the reseller who is making the additional money, and if you look at the auction sites, there are plenty of people willing to pay. This is a free market. Don't like the prices? Don't pay them. They will go down when enough people stop buying that supply outstrips demand again. I have a 500 round brick of .22LR with a $74.95 price label that I keep to remind me of that. I don't have any $39.95 boxes of 9.

Any item is worth exactly what a purchaser is willing to pay.[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I believe what he's saying, S&B claim to be cranking out 3,000,000 rounds of ammo a day and they can't keep up with the demands as well. It's not just the general population that they all have to provide for, there's also government and military.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Like he said it is not the manufacturers that are the problem it is the new gun owners that have never owned a gun before are hording ammo like they do with Toilet paper. I know of a few that do not even own any reloading equipment that bought up bricks of primers just because they were available now I can't get any from anywhere. the only ammo available is a small amount of .22lr.
I'm not putting the blame on new gun buyers. Way back when this first started, I was in Atwoods and the ones buying all the ammo was not first time buyers. It beat all I've ever seen. It was like a Black Friday sell. In just a short time all handgun ammo was sold out.

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Banned
122 Posts
I believe what he's saying, S&B claim to be cranking out 3,000,000 rounds of ammo a day and they can't keep up with the demands as well. It's not just the general population that they all have to provide for, there's also government and military.
I love S and B. The last bulk I bought a case of 380 months ago has now doubled in price. They can control the end price and the retailers sell it as fast as they can so there is no injury to the retailer. Even Walmart still has cheap prices on what they sell in hunting ammo. Walmart marks it up based on a some fair profit based on their marketing plan. And this guy walks around the factory whining about the bad emails while at the same time he lets the buyer get stuck with scalpers prices.

My simple comment is they are selling everything they can, with less advertising or similar costs than any time in history. So, while this guy is upset at his hate mail, his company is getting richer than ever. So, why would he come out and make a video in the factory which incidentally did not seem to have many people there or machines cranking out rounds. One of my degrees is an MBA and I worked in a fortune 50 company marketing department long ago. I do not believe him, I think this is just doing damage control because stock holders or people on his board of directors are not liking what they hear.

Maybe they need a new CEO who can figure out ways to crank out more ammo? And even if there are 7 million new gun owners and 700 million new rounds needed. His company only sells a portion of that ammo. Bulk ammo shooters like me buy a lot of that cheap Russian stuff in 9, 45, 5.56 and 7.62 x 39. So, most ammo does not even come from his companies. Just saying maybe they just need a new CEO. They do not need any marketing, just product.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well one thing is for sure... Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington ammo being under control of one corporate entity, it wouldn't take to much for someone to start manipulating supply and demand to cause them to start driving prices up to increase their bottom line.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Back in the Obozo days - people who were anti-gun were buying up all of the ammo they could find, then turning around and selling it for 5 - 6 times what they paid for it. Some call it 'free market' - I call it greed. I would even think it borders on treason.

I've been harping to anyone who cares to read this: have two stashes - one for shooting and the other for SHTF. Don't touch the SHTF stash. Kind of like finger nails on a chaulkboard when someone says "geez - I got no ammo!"

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
What evidence does ANYONE have that this is a propaganda video by the ammo industry??

Simple supply and demand can explain all of it and with the Dems about to ruin this nation, even the libtards who voted fro Biden are getting guns and ammo. So, there is nothing you need to conjecture above and beyond simple supply and demand.

As one already noted, the government is tooling up as well. Under Obama, more and more Federal agencies bought HUGE amounts of guns and ammo and these were Federal agencies without usual law enforcement roles.

Lastly, the drop in ammo follows right behind the largest gun purchasing year in our history. That is actual evidence and known facts.

So do we have to add a conspiracy with complete speculation and call that something someone knows for certain to attack the video? I won't give it a name, but that is about as reliable as well, put in your own name to it.

If you have evidence, show us the evidence.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I don't believe the manufacturers are slacking in production. Talking to my sister a couple of days ago, the $505,000 of ammo they purchased a little over 3 months ago is gone. Much of the 9mm they bought, had to to be purchased in bulk if they wanted it, because boxing took more time and expense. They have an employee sorting 50rnds to zip lock bags, and limiting one to customer. The stuff that does come boxed, never gets on the shelf, they sell it right off the pallet. She said you can still smell the ink on the boxes. To stay at the top of the list for delivery, they just had to order $910,000 worth of ammo. They had to extend their hours and only have one day off now. The range is packed from opening to closing 6 days a week, that's an average of 300 people a day. When there's an ammo delivery, there's two lines outside going into the pro shop. This is just one place near Katy, TX.
Here in Calif, the shelves are bare, no guns, no ammo, no reloading supplies. I stocked up years ago, no idea how many rounds I have, but I know if I packed it real tight, I could easily fill my pick up bed.

·
Premium Member
12,433 Posts
I'm glad I don't personally have to worry about it.

Reactions: soonerfan66
1 - 20 of 22 Posts