The Firearms Forum banner

A Question Re Bayonets

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
Hello,

I hop y'all are well. First, let me say I am a relative amateur. I get to the range every two weeks or so to better my skills with my carry weapons (CZ P-07 Duty; S&W 642; NAA Mini in .22lr and .22 mag). I shoot my AR MUCH less frequently. Every couple months - or less, I bring all my rifles and so have little time for the AR. ('my' range doesn't allow AR's and so I must go to a local sheriff's range, available one day a month).

I am writing this because I'd like to mount a bayonet on my S&W M&P-15 OR. How would I go about doing that? Please be as specific as possible - if it is even possible. Also, I'd prefer to mount a 'sword' bayonet on it. Yes, you may find it silly, but it's what I'd like. I also have a Mossberg 590A1 SPX (the 9 shot). I've a bayonet on it, but is there a 'sword' bayonet available for it?

Please don't write me off as some kid (though I wish I was), I'll be 40 in June. I've been shooting since I can remember and in my 20's competed - and did well - with bolt action rifles anyway (no, I don't want a bayonet on those! I've a CZ 550FS in .308, Winchester 70 Alaskan in .30-06, Winchester 94 Sporter in .30-30, Winchester 94 Traditional (an odd one: it's stock isn't smooth but had checkering. Perhaps a limited edition? (my great uncle worked for Winchester - traveling a lot to promote it and as a consequence had at LEAST 30 rifles. He knew I liked firearms and, unknown to me, wrote me into his will - tht's why I've so many Winchester that I only very rarely shoot) and a CZ 452 Trainer. Don't get me started on my pistols and shotguns (only 3 shottys, though)! Though, to be honest, I was only average with handguns and won no comps with them. Rifles? Better believe it! Never competed with shotguns - I do have a trap thrower, though, but must drive 1.5 hours to a friends in the country to shoot it.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Bayonets have always appealed to me and I'd like to explore all the options. I'd love to get a sword bayonet on each, and at least a bayonet for the AR (a rifle I don't really like, but peer pressure's a b!tch).

God Bless & Keep You!
Pan

See less See more
#2 ·
Some one who is more knowledgeable than I am will be along to answer your question about bayonets. As to revolver vs semi auto pistols, I don't see that big of an advantage to have the extra rounds of the semi auto. If you need more than 5 rounds then you are probably in the wrong place to start with, or you just plain can't shoot!

#5 ·
Those laws have since expired. It is now a state by state issue. Here in NC it is legal. I try to do all the research that i can, however if you know of the law that says it is illegal please do share! The BATF site is the best place to look.

#7 ·
Of course you can put a bayoner on an AR. You can put a bayonet on anything that will accept one.

That's why, during the ban ('94
- '04) they allowed the making of guns with the evil bayonet lug. But now the ban is over and once again they come with lugs.

Except for in a few communistic states.

As to the "type" of bayonet - if you have the money and the desire, you can get anything. I've seen pix of a chainsaw mounted to an AR.

You'd need to have the grip modified so that the slot matches your lug, and the ring will fit your muzzle.

Once that's done, you could hang one of these on it.

Probably annoy a bunch of collectors, though, with "ruining those valuable antiques", but if that's what floats your boat ---

#9 ·
Bayonets are too close work for me-it's handgun time then....And remember you can't use your AR to batter your adversary-you'll bend tube and recoil spring will jam....so maybe a bayonet is the way to go:)

#13 ·
I have a bayonet for all but my 1903 Springfield and US M1917. They're a bit spendy for my budget at the moment. If ya see one in your travels be sure to let me know. ;)

#16 ·
Original 1903 Springfield bayonets are crazy expensive. There are folks who sell 'reproduction' U.S. Model 1905 bayonets (rewelded bayonets) and scabbards at about $75. Bayonets for the U.S. Model of 1917 are available, and those are usually also about $75 without a scabbard. I think SARCO had them.

Just FYI, the much cheaper British SMLE WW1 pattern bayonet is exactly the same as the U.S. '17 bayonet - except that the markings are different and the grip panels are not grooved as are the U.S. bayonets and they used a Frog on the scabbard unlike the U.S. belt hook. The U.S. 'Trenchgun' bayonet is the same as the 1917 bayonet, and are often available.

As far as buying a reproduction vs. an original, to me it's just the price. I have all original bayonets that I've picked up over the years (1861 Springfield, 1863 Remington, U.S. Krag, 1905 U.S. '03, U.S. 1917 Enfield, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14 and M8 for the M16 and British WW1 SMLE, Nazi and Isreali '98k bayos and correct scabbards for all) - but as I'm not expecting to participate in any bayonet charges in the near furure, a reproduction would not bother me.

#17 ·
My father in law to be was in the army for 12 years and has a box of military kbar knives and bayonets. so when I got my ar 15 he gave me a couple.

#18 ·
THANKS EVERYONE!

Alpo: Screw 'em! lol I shouldn't have said sword bayonet, what I meant was an exceptionally long bayonet. Not necessarily an antique.

Zant: I don't expect to get in a gun fight. I just like the way they look. If (God forbid) I was in a gunfight, I'd happily accept whatever edge (pun intended) I could get!

GDMoody: No, nothing to do with bayonets. Did it need to be?

Shooter45: Is it a rule that the poll relate to the question? Seems mildly ridiculous for that to be the case. What possible difference does it make?

#19 ·
I think adding one on a modern rifle is stupid.
I would say if you need one you screwed up and should have practiced with the gun ALLOT more.
And "close fighting" is what a pistol is for.
I just think the whole idea of adding one to a AR is wrong.
Mike

#20 ·
THANKS EVERYONE!

Shooter45: Is it a rule that the poll relate to the question? Seems mildly ridiculous for that to be the case. What possible difference does it make?
Actually not a rule but it was mildly ridiculous that the poll was even added especially since it had nothing to do with the topic.
You ask what difference does it make ? Read the sentence above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.