A serious question for our Marines ( 1 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

BlackGun
    (1/10/02 9:20:09 pm)
    A serious question for our Marines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm told that the Marines and only the Marines use a code (for what I have no idea) This code is 0331. I'm assuming it's a job clasification like the Army's 94B20 or 11 Brovo's? Anyone got a clue, or am I talking out of my hat!

Mesen
    (1/10/02 9:25:05 pm)
    Re: A serious question for our Marines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BG go to VMBB. you can bet they'll know!

BlackGun
    (1/10/02 9:27:43 pm)
    Bree would you do it for me, Please!

Mesen
    (1/10/02 9:31:32 pm)
    consider it done.

Moskovskyya
    (1/10/02 9:59:03 pm)
    I don't know 0331, could it be 311? All marines are 0311's basically no mater whether they are the comandant of the corps or the cook! ..... A rifleman!

BlackGun
    (1/10/02 10:22:39 pm)
    Moskovskyya
    I was told specifically 0331!

It seems that a Marine bet his girfriend that she couldn't find out what 0331 meant. The lady contacted our local radio station for help? From what my wife tells me, two Marines called in and stated it had something to do with the word gunnery and only the marines used it! From there, I have no further information! So I put it to the board, thinking someone have know off the top of their heads

Moskovskyya
    (1/10/02 11:22:50 pm)
    Well, it must be a modern Marine thing! Old farts like me wouldn't know, I discharged in 1973. I'll ask a young whipper snapper jar head about 0331, and let you know.

Moskovskyya
    (1/10/02 11:43:39 pm)
    OK, I thought there was a joke or some kind of secrecy here. Its a simple question the USMC MOS 0331 is a machine gunner. Before the "FEW Brewskis" not "good Men" I would have been quicker.

Moskovskyya
    (1/10/02 11:58:04 pm)
    On further thought, and not withstanding the "Y'ling" Lager, the Army has an MOS 0331, but IIRC they call those mud puppies 13F's (automatic fire team member or something), with an 0311 Marine rifleman being an Army 11B. Bare with me people, I've been out for 29 YEARS!

rayra
    (1/11/02 12:26:16 am)
    don't know about 0331, but MOS 0311 is (03) Infantry, (11) Rifleman.

shouldn't be too hard to rustle up a Military Occupational Specialty listing...

Listing for Officers -
    www.mcrc.usmc.mil/section...ialtie.htm

A Rand study -
    www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR977/

Army's list -
    www.usarec.army.mil/hq/apa/rc/allmos.htm

Good Marine list, but NO SUBCODES
    home.inreach.com/marine/occsp.html

Moskovskyya
    (1/11/02 12:31:54 am)
    rayra, you can "rustle" up a listing if you like, but I already told you what it was. Do ya think my memory is really that bad after only 29 years? Or do you think it's the brew?

rayra
    (1/11/02 12:37:03 am)
    I ain't takin' the word of no Roosky!

I was an 0844, myself.

Moskovskyya
    (1/11/02 10:15:52 am)
    Now komrade rayra, is that any way to talk to a son of the motherland in the shadow of the order of the Red Star?

We must keep in mind the great words of komarade Kruschev... (translated to the closest American meaning)

"It is much better komrades to have a lie that everyone believes, than a truth that is unbelievable"... (profanity and table top beating omitted) ..."after all, we know that useful truth is that which is believed by the masses. Real truth has no power, or practical use, and is therefore unnecessary".

Xracer
    (1/11/02 10:21:05 am)
    Sounds like a recent U.S. president.......

Zigzag2
    (1/11/02 10:28:26 am)
    Moskovskyya, I'd just said "Bl w Me!

Different name
    (1/11/02 1:43:47 pm)
    I fergot....do they letcha jus write one eight ( ata time?
    Is thet "SOP"?
    2 4's R fussing ta me...

BlackGun
    (1/11/02 4:38:33 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: A serious question for our Marines
    Ratra Man! That's a ugly jar head ! What's a 0844?

Mosk! Ha! you think you old! I E.T.S. out of Long Behn in 67

Mesen
    (1/11/02 7:14:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: A serious question for our Marines
    BG your answer is on VMBB. Just look for the thread in GD

rayra
    (1/11/02 7:36:40 pm)
    JAR head?? OH!

0844 - Artillery Fire Direction Controlman (FDC) - the 'smart' guy with the slide rule that does the gunnery calculations for the 'cannon-cockers' down on the battery gun line.

Moskovskyya
    (1/11/02 8:06:04 pm)
    Hey Blackgun, that jirene is a big greengun guy, (well they used to be green, now the're probably desert colored or something) I'm pretty sure 0844 is artilery man, and all of us are ugly as hell, or else we could have joined the navy and wore that sissie uniform. I'm sure ray is a good guy. I was just messing with him a little, I'm sure he can take it.

If I can take just a little space here to tell you something you all might understand Marines a little better. They are all a different smoke. I had a squad of Marines assigned to me for transportation and security while on duty in Phouk long province, VNRO! (may have mispelled but yes, pronounced fuk long) the squad leader was a 32 year old E3. (thats right E3) with 13 yrs in the corps. His name was "Jimmi LeBlanc from the Bronx you F...er" (always his personal introduction). The guys ripped off a truck one night and we went to town to mother MagOOs home for wayward young ladies. There were 6 squids sitting at a round table and Jimmi didn't like it for some reason, and he walked over to the table, jumped up in the middle, and punched or kicked all 6 before they could stand up. Within minutes the SP's were there breaking up the fun. The OD was a JG that might have started shaving, I don't know. He was going to give all my guys an all expense paid trip to the brig. I talked to him a few minutes and explained that before today it had been 16 day's since we'd even had a shower, and were just having a little fun with no harn done. He agreed that if I would round my maiancs up di di to never be seen there again he'd let us ride. We left the joint, turned the corner down a street where we had the truck stashed. As we neared out transport 2 SP's were walking toward us, one was navy and one was Marine on extra duty. As we passed Jimmi whacked the jirene in the jaw and knocked him out. The swaby ran to the corner screaming like school girl. We just stood there L'ing OA'sO. Within minutes we were head knotted, black eyed, bleeding, in a vehicle on the way to a 4 day stay in the brig. I asked jimmi, why he did that, we were out of there. He said I had to, "didn't you see what he did to his uniform"? I was completely puzzled and hadn't noticed anything. He said "you didn't see that chicken s'it arm band"? It was the Navy SP arm band on the Marine uniform that set him off, and he was most serious. Now you know how 12 year in service guys can still be E3's.

tuckerd1
    (1/11/02 8:18:45 pm)
    I once met a swabby in 77 that had been in since 43. 34 years straight and he was still an E4 Boatswains Mate. Now, do you think he stayed an E4 all those years, being a sissy?

He was the spitting image of Popeye. Any minute you expected to see him with Olive Oyl (?) and ol' Bluto come running around the corner.

Mesen
    (1/11/02 8:40:50 pm)
    Well BG...
    Now you know the rest of the story.

BlackGun
    (1/11/02 8:54:06 pm)
    Moskovskyya
    I loved your story! I was just pickin on Rayra. Just rattling his cage a little. I come from a long family history of Marines! My youngest son was with the 1st Marine Div. in Saudi, 2 tours. Long range Recon, with 6 confirmed KIA's.

Daddy in law, who is now 80 was at the flag raising at Iowa Jima and received the Purple Heart there. He is so bad, that he had his tonsels (sp) removed without antishea (sp) His birth day party is tomorrow and this is his present from me!~

It's not a lot, but he loves anything with the corp. emblem on it! [ Du Rah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.