A Tug At My Heart...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (7/1/01 7:23:38 pm)
    | Del All A Tug At My Heart...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and a lump in my throat when I read this.

THE MEMORIAL
    We tried, we tried, Oh God we tried,
    So we could be here too;
    And walk around remembering
    And look for names we knew.

Our lives were lost so far away,
    upon a distant shore.
    But we are here in memory
    As you read our names once more.

Remember us, Remember us,
    Although we're truly gone.And not just names in stone.

hope6970
    (7/1/01 7:37:00 pm)
    | Del Re: A Tug At My Heart...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry, Thanks for posting that. I and many many others know the tug you are feeling.

homer4
    (7/2/01 5:26:26 am)
    Good stuff Larry! Alot can be said with many words or... a few.

Ya found a good short one Lar!
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

oneknight
    (7/2/01 6:36:37 am)
    Larry,

Vet or nonvet, it tugs at the very heart of those who care
    and with the tug of the heart, brings many tears.

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/2/01 11:03:08 am)
    This is the one that I have carried with me for a very long time....

reflect upon it, as I have....
    =======

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Major John McCrae
    Surgeon attached to the 1st Field Artillery Brigade,
    Born in Canada
    Ypres salient in the spring of 1915, WWI

out......

mt pari
    (7/2/01 11:16:57 am)
    Many pop off fireworks, camp and party hardy to celebrate the 4th, our independence day in this country..yet very few stop to think of the sons and daughters who never came home and the ones who did with physical and mental scars to last their lifetimes..all to give the opportunity for others to celebrate..

Moving poems, so filled with truth and feeling..

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/2/01 1:55:35 pm)
    | Del Tug At My Heart
    Great Poem, Larry
    I am often haunted by the names I never knew or names I can't remember. As grunts we knew each other only by nicknames.
    When I first went to the Moving Wall, I blocked on ALL the names of men I knew. I could only leave in frustration and try to remember the names at a less stressful time. I succeeded by writing down a few names of men who were less important to me and then going back to the Moving Wall. This broke the damn and started the healing.
    I also have a hard time with the dates of death. We were told that the Army would sometimes withold the news if there were already too many casuaties for that day. One struggle in particular lasted 108 days and nights. I was not even sure what day of the week/month it was for most of that fight. We would occasionally get hot food or mail and they would remind us of the date. We were also reminded if there was an alleged truce.
    I suspect that the guys at Flanders Field had a similar problem with dates. I am told that the nickname issue is only a Viet Combat Vet problem. Mike H

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/2/01 2:17:42 pm)
    | Del Re: Tug At My Heart
    106RR196LIB..."I am told that the nickname issue is only a Viet Combat Vet problem"

I believe that you are correct...
    I only knew 6 or 7 guys by both their first and last names..... everyone used nicknames... animals... cities... and so forth.... some were "earned" and bestowed on them by others (as with me) and some just naturally "fit" them....."Chicago Joe" Etc....

I have always wished that I had been more attentive and retained real names instead of nicknames.....it still bothers me....

out....

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (7/2/01 4:51:25 pm)
    | Del Re: Tug At My Heart
    I wish I could recall names of the guys that I drank with, worked with and had pics of us all together...but I can only recall one name. Thats the name of my best buddy. I recall faces, but no names.