The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to be in Las Vegas yesterday for dental business, but I spent the afternoon at Bass Pro. OMG! I have never seen the place so empty. There were plenty of shoppers, plenty of warm clothes, plenty of everything, as long as you don't count guns and ammo and reloading supplies. They usually have about 60' of stuffed pistol cabinets - call it 20' now, with more empty space than I've ever seen between guns. The rifles are reasonably well stocked, but no mean, nasty, homicidal black guns in sight.

Ammo shelves are reduced to shelf, and that nearly empty - even the shotgun shell aisle was nearly barren. Bullets? Fuhgetaboutit; there's virtually nothing on the shelf. Dies they had in stock, in case you reload, but if you want components like primers and powder, look elsewhere.

Still, I managed to spend far more than I intended, mostly on warm clothes. The Red Head brand of fleece-lined jeans is fantastic ( there's an equivalent for ladies, just as nice, under the brand of Natural Reflections ), and the Cabela's branded wool-blend socks are really warm most of the time. I also had been looking for an insulated, short boot that doesn't have waffle-makers on the bottom. Desert soils run from clay to sand, and around here they tend to combine to make a mortar-like substance that only comes loose from a boot when walking across carpet. There is no such thing for men, but I did find the perfect product in the Ladies' section - I just had to buy 1 size larger. I couldn't care less what gender they were made for, and really don't understand why they wouldn't make a men's version of the product, but these shoes are going to work out very nicely.

To make a long story only a little bit shorter, if you're looking for guns, ammo, or reloading supplies, Bass Pro (and, by extension, Cabela's ) probably shouldn't be first on your shopping destination list. But if you want to stock up on warm, quality clothing, I highly recommend it(them).

·
GUNZILLA
6,494 Posts
You should see our Academy here. Where there used to be ammo, the shelves are now stocked with storage and tackle boxes, not a single box of ammo to include shotgun shells.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
12,433 Posts
I don't remember the last time I was in a Bass Pro store, maybe 10 years ago. Cabela's has been 5 years or more. 'Course the closest ones are 120-140 miles away. Last time I was in our Academy they had a few powders and bullets but no primers and I want to remember they had quite a few semi-auto handguns. But, that's been at least 2 months ago, maybe 3. They might be cleaned out now.

·
Premium Member
19,612 Posts
I live 3 miles from Cabela's. The last time I was in there they had no ammo and very few guns. I am going to stop in tomorrow to get a knife my son wants. It's his birthday Saturday. I will report back what I find.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
19,612 Posts
I just got back from Cabela's. The only pistol ammo they had was 44 mag and 41 mag cowboy loads. No 308 or 223 but most other rifle loads. Almost no shotgun shells. In the gun library no semiauto handguns. They did have a good selection of Ruger Blackhawks at ok prices. They are not popular around here and you can always get them at a good price. That's good for me as I love Blackhawks.

At the gun counter almost no semiautos. They did have a nice selection of hi-end 1911's and Italian Colt clones. Some shotguns but no self-defense shotguns. Some bolt action rifles but no semi-auto rifles.

This is worse than the Obama shortages. Back then I could always get shotgun shells.

·
Super Moderator
26,993 Posts
I just got back from Cabela's. The only pistol ammo they had was 44 mag and 41 mag cowboy loads. No 308 or 223 but most other rifle loads. Almost no shotgun shells. In the gun library no semiauto handguns. They did have a good selection of Ruger Blackhawks at ok prices. They are not popular around here and you can always get them at a good price. That's good for me as I love Blackhawks.

At the gun counter almost no semiautos. They did have a nice selection of hi-end 1911's and Italian Colt clones. Some shotguns but no self-defense shotguns. Some bolt action rifles but no semi-auto rifles.

This is worse than the Obama shortages. Back then I could always get shotgun shells.
The gun library was open? The last time that I was in the Cabelas in Mi, the library was closed.

·
Premium Member
19,612 Posts
The gun library was open? The last time that I was in the Cabelas in Mi, the library was closed.
The governor of Illinois ruled guns and ammo an essential business and they were never closed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Bass pro and Cabela’s in Raleigh nc was the same way last week . No pistol or rifle ammo to be had and very limited shotgun ammo . What shotgun ammo was there was high end turkey loads and non toxic duck ammo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts