A word for our non-southern friends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Apr 28, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Ok, first, all of you southerners here, hold off on answering this one!!!

Define and use correctly in a sentence, the word
    "mommanem"

First correct answer wins one million simoleans to be paid one per year for the next million years.

2. Mommanem are fine, Russ. Thanks for asking. :D;)

3. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I knew YOU would know Pistol!! As I recall, you have some Southern blood in ya'!:D
    (hmmn... perhaps this disqualifies the good professor! I will have to get a ruling on this one!!!)

4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

There all doing great. :D

Crpdeth

5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Yep pretty fine considering the circumstances.

6. ARB

ARB New Member

Use mommanem in a sentence? Okay, what the heck is mommanem?:D

7. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

haha I'm with you ARB! I have absolutley no idea what that means... :D

8. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Talking about parents, especially dad? Mommanem are both doing fine!

9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    A few years ago my parents were traveling through the deep south, seeing the sights and came home with this story.

They stopped at a roadside crawfish joint for a snack and when they ordered a couple pounds of fresh mud bugs the gentleman at the stand asked it they wanted them "bowled."

Bowled? Sure, they wanted them in a bowl.

"No, bowled, bowled, do you want them bowled?"

"Yes, in a bowl would be fine..."

"No, I mean do you want them bowled or take them with you raw?"

"Oh, boiled, yes, that would be great..."

10. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Mommanem are playing Bingo.

11. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Mommanem'll be along directly.

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Couple of stories, just for funzies.

Northern woman moved to Atlanta, and went to rent an apartment. Landlady (they talk funny, in Atlanta) asked her if she had any pay-ets. Asked her two or three times. Prospective tenant standin' there, "Any what?" Finally the landlady says, "You know. Dawgs. Cats. Pay-ets."

Woman moved to Mobile. Had a house being built. Contractor asked her what kind a driveway she wanted. She asked what were her options. He told her, "Well, see-ment or ass-fault I got to subcontract out, but if you want shale, I can do that myself". She thought, wow. Shale. That pretty blue stone. That'll look so nice. So she told him to go with the shale. Then she went back up north to finish packin' for the move. Come back down a week or so later, and instead of pretty blue stone the driveway was a bunch of gray lumpy things. She calls up the contractor, slightly annoyed. "What the heck is that in my driveway?" He says, surprised, "What you order. Shale. Erster shale."

One from my own experience. Customer called, wanted some work done. I take all the information, and then say, "Okay, Claude. Now I need a Purchase Order Number." Claude says, "Variable". "What?" "Variable." I say, slowly, pronouncing each syllable, "Var-i-a-ble?" He says, "No, variable." Finally I ask him to spell it. V E R B A L. Verbal PO. Claude is French-Canadian, and has a heck of an accent.

13. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I would answer but being from the south I can't :p

14. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Hey, djeet?

By the way, the difference between SEE-ment and ce-MENT, as with many such words, is that the former is a noun and the latter a verb. A characteristic preserved due to early settlement patterns in this continent as the language was in the midst of change in Merry Olde, and to subsequent linguistic isolation. English is basically Germanic, in which the accent will fall on the first syllable of a noun; and the three hundred years' worth of Norman French used by the upper crusties hadn't completely filtered down to the working folks who comprised the majority of the settlers. Subsequent groups came after the French custom of accenting a subsequent syllable had become the "norm".

I come from a place (Tidewater Virginia) that was settled during the transition from the diphthong "ou" preceding an unvoiced consonant being pronounced "oo" to the ultimate "ow". So "house", "mouse", "route", etc. are actually prounced as diphthongs. Same phenomenon in and around Toronto.

One thing I can't figure out - "teats" is pronounced as a diphthong, "tay-ehts", which makes sense, but "grits" is also a two-syllable word. It's a mystery.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Mommanem was goin' ta' 'tha Walllll Mart but 'en 'at dang Chevuhlay broke down on 'em again, 'en Uncle Tater had 'ta com'en tow 'em to 'tha shop 'ugin. Dawn't look purdy 'cause 'at new orange annifreeze wuz 'a leakin' all over tha' bed 'u that rollback. That sungun prolly gon' need a new head gaysket 'n a lot 'o prayer... :D Y'all keep 'em on 'ya list now. Momma 'ain been able ta' go t'tannin' bed'n about 3 weeks now. She's lookin' mighty peekid... :D

:D:D:D:D:D