A. Wurfflein 40/41 caliber Muzzleloader - German Silver - Rifled

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jason Pollard, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Jason Pollard

Jason Pollard New Member

I am looking for information on a muzzleloader I recently acquired. I know that it made by Andrew Wurfflein - Philadelphia PA - It has a Rifled bullet in the Patchbox - Great Condition. Any Information/Value I could get on the rifle would be appreciated. (Barrel goes from 16 to Octagon to Round

I will upload a couple of images.

Jason
    IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1110.JPG

2. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I can't say anything other than it looks brand new!

3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

That rifle is incredible....I have to ask, and please don't be insulted...is that an original in original condition, restored or a fairly new rifle? Whichever it is it is beautiful.

The name Wurfflein seems familiar to me but I can't put a finger on it. I have a couple reference books and will check them. 16 sides to octagon to round was.....somewhat frequently done....by the Germans, Swiss and Austrians. It wasn't common but a person sees a few around. Would love to see the rifle in its entirety, both sides, top & bottom. You have a jewel there.

5. sharps4590

Son-of-a-gun!! Must be an original!!! ampaterry, thanks for that link. That's quite a plains rifle too. Gotta love them Kraut gunmakers.

6. Jason Pollard

Jason Pollard New Member

Thanks for the post... It is original. I can't see anything that has been refinished. Missing the original Spring Peep and Adjustment screw (just behind Hammer) Other than that, I would say it is in Great shape.

7. Jason Pollard

Jason Pollard New Member

8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Andrew Wurfflein born about 1807 in Bavaria was in Philadelphia by 1840s, listed as a gunsmith 1850-1870, and died there 1872.

His son William born 1847 Philadelphia continued the business during breech-loading era, and died there 1922.

Andrew made excellent copies of the Henry Deringer as well as long guns.

9. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle, I'd be proud to have it in my vault except I'd be far too tempted to put a ball down range with it, got to ask, is the bore as nicely preserved as the outside of the rifle?

And could you show a picture of the barrel's transition from 8 to 16 to round.

10. Jason Pollard

Jason Pollard New Member

Pictures attached

IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1140.JPG

11. sharps4590

That rifle is drilled for a false muzzle. With the rear sight you mentioned is missing, the front sight and the muzzle drilled for a false muzzle that was someone's prized target rifle. That explains a great deal about its condition.

12. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Wow, love the knurling that was done at the muzzle, thanks for sharing your prize with us.