? about Pig flu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Apr 28, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Can you believe all these people on tv wearing these mask's. Do people actually think this works? The only thing i can see this doing is keeping you from touching your face. Maybe if you wash your hands frequently you might be doing something.

Does anybody have conclusive evidence that wearing this mask helps?

2. pawn

pawn Active Member

the doctor at the local walk in clinic wears one, i suppose it can serve as a filter/barrier for airborne particulates when the guy next to you sneezes... filter may reduce the likelyhood of inhaling the virus etc...

3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

They probably work to some degree--if people wear them properly. A cop on TV had his nose out.

4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I don't know if they work, but I heard on the radio this morning how to avoid getting this flu----avoid sick people. Duh!! Can the news media say anything more stupid?? Never mind I know the answer.:D

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

There isnt a whole lot you can do. But what you can do, you should do. Wear the mask if you are in a high risk environment like a crowded place, better still, avoid crowded places. Keep in mind even if you get your groceries delivered, some one in the store may be sneezing around them before they leave. Wash all food, wash hands. Stock up on aspirin or paracetamol in case you get it.

6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'm surprised at how this story has spread so fast! That's the power of the information age. My mother-in-law had to go to the emergency and said it was packed with people believing that they might have this thing.
    I wish I had worn a mask last year while on a flight to Phoenix, AZ. The lady next to me was coughing and hacking. I tried to slide to the other side of my seat to avoid contamination. About two weeks later I had pneumonia. Hands are the main concern. We touch the door handles, the #1 button on an elevator, whatever, and then touch our eyes, nose, or mouth. That's the way these things spread. Wash hands often. TJ

7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

They do not work. Washing your hands before eating and picking your nose does.

8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The masks do work if worn properly. As in an earlier post if you needed to be in a high risk enviroment it would be wise to wear one. Just as in an operating room personnel wear masks to keep from infecting the patients. They do work but only in harmony with good hygene practices such as washing your hands often.

9. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

10. ARB

ARB New Member

Don't let the media hype get to you. Okay, it is unfortunate that it has killed 152 people on the entire planet. Now the avian flu was a scary one. How many did that kill?

11. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

A mother and daughter are under testing for it here in SoCal in Claremont CA. It's the town right next to mine.

12. durk

durk Active Member

I'll be going on a mini vacation soon and will be trying a product called (Airborne) supposed to help support your immune system. Created by a school teacher.. We will see.

13. lb969

lb969 New Member

Cure swine flu now!
    Eat more pork!

I'd rather take the stuff created by doctors and pharmacists thanks...

We're talking about some mystical anti-flu pixie stick created by an elementary teacher, not some research grant funded chemistry professor.

Seriously, best advice is wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Airborne is only a bit of zinc in an carrier. It has been tested and does nothing. Because it is not sold as a certified "medicine" it is not regulated. They have been busted twice for over claiming its effectiveness.

Pops

15. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

durk....taking a reputable brand of Echinacea will probably do a lot better for you. I'd look it up if you're on any meds, and make sure you aren't taking anything that reacts with it (as some things do).