The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Oklahoma I got to visit my 1st academy sports store yesterday. I hear you guys always talking about them. Saw one in Lawton and had to check it out. They don't have any where i live in the boonies of NY. Bought some .22 shorts. Had my son with me so we each could only get 2 boxes of CCI 100 count a piece. Think they were $11.00. high but i had to buy something.:) I asked if he had any LR and he said no he didn't get a big delivery in. So since I'm meeting firpo today and it's on the way i'll stop in again.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
We got an Academy I guess 3 years ago. They're ok. They sure cater to the masses and that's ok as well, that's where the profit is and in any business, profit is not an option. I shop there occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
We have one here in Athens that I occasionally go to. If I happen to have to go the other side of town I will stop. When we were having that last .22 shortage they were the only place that had any. I happened to be on that side of town a couple of weeks ago and stopped in and was disappointed that they had absolutely no ammo of any kind, except 12 gauge shotgun shells, and probably a dozen guns in the cases.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
11 bucks for the CCI is cheaper than they are here. A sporting goods store in Lynden has the 100 bricks for $16.95 but the good thing is there no limit.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did have some other ammo. Mostly shotgun shells and i think some centerfire stuff. but i was mainly looking for rimfire. Where i live we don't have anything close to Academy Sports. We did have Gander MT. but they bit the dust.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
They did have some other ammo. Mostly shotgun shells and i think some centerfire stuff. but i was mainly looking for rimfire. Where i live we don't have anything close to Academy Sports. We did have Gander MT. but they bit the dust.
Our Gander MT was a good place to go to look at things to buy, but if you decide to buy you could order it online & have it shipped for half the price. The only way I would buy from them is if it was the only place I could find stuff. It's no wonder they went under.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Our Gander MT was a good place to go to look at things to buy, but if you decide to buy you could order it online & have it shipped for half the price. The only way I would buy from them is if it was the only place I could find stuff. It's no wonder they went under.
Yeah the only way I could afford Gander Mt is if my wife or son got me a gift card from them.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I too liked Gander Mountain but, as both of you said, they were pricey. The first iteration of Gander Mountain wasn't that way. I used to buy some stuff from them and back then I darn sure had to watch the dollars. I want to remember they compared with Herter's and the old Cabela's from 30+ years ago. Seems they all wanted to be Bass Pro....and now Cabela's is!

I liked Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls but they're a NW company, none here.

Reactions: Fletch.N and joe45c

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Here's what the stash looked like at Academy in Daytona Beach earlier in the month. :oops: We were down there for the funeral of a relative on my wife's side of the family.

On the contrasting side, I managed to pick up two boxes of .22 LR Remington on a Friday afternoon a week ago in Academy locally. It's getting better.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Here in Oklahoma I got to visit my 1st academy sports store yesterday. I hear you guys always talking about them.
Sure nice to have a fellow TFF member to 'come HOME to Oklahoma!'! Well at least come for a visit!
Don't know if ya'll have Atwoods in your neck of the woods or not but since you are here ya might check them out, too! I ain't been to ours since Covid thing started but they do have gun/ammo dept, small but got one.
Also if ya'll ain't got a Dunham's you might check them out while in Oklahoma!
Hope you and your family have a GREAT vacation and able to spend great time with your folks while here!

·
Premium Member
20,091 Posts
I was at one down south a few years ago. I think it was in Montgomery AL. Nothing fancy like Cabela's but well stocked and good prices. I wish they had one here.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
We've had them around Houston area for years.
The headquarters is in Katy.

We've got one about 45 miles away in Knoxville, never been in it.
We have 3 within 25 miles of the house and another within 45 miles. We're covered up with them! It makes it easy to shop online and figure out which store has what you want in stock.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I was at one down south a few years ago. I think it was in Montgomery AL. Nothing fancy like Cabela's but well stocked and good prices. I wish they had one here.
I get a kick out of Cabela's on firearms. I like to visit, but the firearms counter is definitely just for window shopping. I was just in there last weekend buying fishing supplies. With regard to firearms, I pay more for the same necessary medical procedure but insurance helps out and then I'm at least anesthetised. :oops:

·
11,063 Posts
The headquarters is in Katy.

We have 3 within 25 miles of the house and another within 45 miles. We're covered up with them! It makes it easy to shop online and figure out which store has what you want in stock.
That terminal is huge, I did some clearing close to it, amazing how many trucks were in and out of there.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
We have one here in Athens that I occasionally go to. If I happen to have to go the other side of town I will stop. When we were having that last .22 shortage they were the only place that had any. I happened to be on that side of town a couple of weeks ago and stopped in and was disappointed that they had absolutely no ammo of any kind, except 12 gauge shotgun shells, and probably a dozen guns in the cases.
I have been in that one a couple of times 2-3 of years ago. Maybe both times were just bad days there but neither time was I impressed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts