The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks sooner. I knew i would have gone past a few OK member on this trip. we were on I 44 for a whole day so most likely passed you. Just have enough time to see Vic in Rolla mo. for a hour or so then got to get back on our way.

·
GUNZILLA
7,397 Posts
During the Obama drought I was able to stock up on 22lr and 22 magnum when I temporarily lived in Corpus Christi Tx. for 5 years. There was an Academy in the next town in Portland just a few miles away. They always had ammo but still had a 5 box limit total per person. So wife and I would buy 5 ea of CCI in mini mag the 100 count for $7.99 and the 22 cci mag for $10.99 and some times we would go back to the store several times in the same day or during shift change so cashiers would not recognize us and we would repeat the process throughout the week until they ran out of rimfire ammo. I really don't know how many thousands of round I bought that way in those 5 years. Academy was the only store that was not gouging like every one else was. I would go to a gun show in the area and the same $7.99 box of cci ammo was labled at $25 to $27. I never bought the other calibers they had because I had components to reload but they too were priced at the normal rates. I am loyal to Academy because of this.

·
Premium Member
14,064 Posts
Academy could win my loyalty but they won't stock 10.5 X 47R ammo. Won't even try to order any...... :whistle:

And yes, I'm being facetious.....:devilish:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I too liked Gander Mountain but, as both of you said, they were pricey. The first iteration of Gander Mountain wasn't that way. I used to buy some stuff from them and back then I darn sure had to watch the dollars. I want to remember they compared with Herter's and the old Cabela's from 30+ years ago. Seems they all wanted to be Bass Pro....and now Cabela's is!

I liked Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls but they're a NW company, none here.
I read somewhere that Unfortunately Sportsmans Warehouse was bought by the same company that owns BassPro and Cabelas

·
Premium Member
14,064 Posts
Was in Academy this morning here in Rolla, Mo., buying a game camera so I can HOPEFULLY learn when another dreaded 'dillo is destroying Joyce's flower beds but, that's another story.

Surprise of surprises!!! They had ammo ON THE SHELF!! Evidently left over from their Wednesday morning's shipment. There was a 2 box limit. Lots of 9mm, quite a bit of 223, standard cartridges like '06, 308, 270....and some others I didn't pay attention to. Prices weren't bad, I guess, coming from one who hasn't bought enough rifle ammo to know the difference. I do buy 9mm, 380 ACP, 32 ACP, 9mm Mak. and 45 ACP but a box of those lasts me 5 years....or more. I probably have a life times supply of all them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts