The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as if 2020 didnt already suck, one day into 2021 and I accidently created a small caliber rifle out of my hatfield single shot 410. Soo as a few of you may know i like to play with chamber adapters in my shotguns. well i had ordered one sometime ago in 410 to 38special. I usually use a 3 inch smoothbore one from, ill leave the company out cause i cant remember if i can name them here. well i found an inexspensive 8 inch rifled one on ebay back when we still had tax return money i think it was around $25. when i got it i dropped it in the chamber but never actually closed the breech, welllll. I found it and thought hey i should test this tomorrow at the xmas gathering. it was a little snug but it closed with a slight bit of extra oomf! which is not uncommon in this particular firearm, usually have to "slam" it shut. WELL the dang thing jammed in there, I worked on it for about an hour removed the extractor so i could get a good purchase on it, Nooo budgy budge. tried a steel rod down the bore and a hammer. it didnt budge as if the dang thing welded itself in place. the little lip on the adapater got bench by the extractor, so while i had the extracor off i filed it down, put the extractor back on and now its a single shot 38 special rifle. I searched online and found a replacement barrel for $75 including shipping so as soon as my insult check comes in ill order it and just have interchangeable barrels.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Wow..... That really sucks. I suppose you can always keep this barrel if you ever feel like shooting a single shot .38 again.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow..... That really sucks. I suppose you can always keep this barrel if you ever feel like shooting a single shot .38 again.
I have a few hundred rounds of 130 grain 38 special so im gonna put a box or 2 through it tomorrow. If all goes well Ill put sights on this barrel buy that replacement barrel and have 2 guns in one. mabye cut this barrel down to 16.5" dont really need it to be 28" long anymore.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Wasn't it Clint Eastwood in one of his movies who said, "improvise, adapt, overcome." I'd say you did that in spades. Something about lemons and lemonade.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I have a few hundred rounds of 130 grain 38 special so im gonna put a box or 2 through it tomorrow. If all goes well Ill put sights on this barrel buy that replacement barrel and have 2 guns in one. mabye cut this barrel down to 16.5" dont really need it to be 28" long anymore.
If the barrel isn't rifled all the way to the end can you still cut the barrel to 16 1/2"? It's still marked as a .410 shotgun on the barrel, correct? Shotguns can be cut to 18" to comply with BATFE rules. You may be doing something illegal. Cut it back to 18 1/2", better safe than sorry. JMO

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
That's a good point.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
GA, put the barrel in a freezer for a day or two, it should pop right out. If it doesn't, repeat, take it out and immediately wrap a boiling hot wet rag around where the chamber meets the forcing cone. That's where it's sticking. Give it a second to heat the barrel, and drive the insert out.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the barrel isn't rifled all the way to the end can you still cut the barrel to 16 1/2"? It's still marked as a .410 shotgun on the barrel, correct? Shotguns can be cut to 18" to comply with BATFE rules. You may be doing something illegal. Cut it back to 18 1/2", better safe than sorry. JMO
did i say 16 sorry meant 18

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
GA, put the barrel in a freezer for a day or two, it should pop right out. If it doesn't, repeat, take it out and immediately wrap a boiling hot wet rag around where the chamber meets the forcing cone. That's where it's sticking. Give it a second to heat the barrel, and drive the insert out.
Yeah, and don't do that again, you hear?............ 🤗

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on the upside it did shoot good consistantly hitting a milk jug at 40yards with just the shotgun bead for aiming. why 40 yards one might ask. because thats as close as the nice packed down snowmobile tracks were to the target. I forgot to change my shoes before we left and was wearing my grubbers with the flapper soles wear my toes stick out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts