Accuracy check, 450/400, Ruger #1

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by sharps4590, Dec 25, 2015.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

If it's ok I'm going to copy a post as it's the same. From about 1/2 hour ago;

Maybe a month ago a friend sent me some .410, 400 grain Hornady bullets he no longer used in his Hollis double rifle. I wanted to try some "full house" jacketed loads in my 450/400, Ruger #1 and George was generous enough to provide for my miniscule needs.

I loaded 8 cartridges a week ago or so but hadn't fired them until a few minutes ago. Target is below and the load is 72 grs. of IMR-4831, Hornady cases, Hornady bullet and CCI Magnum primers. From load data velocity is estimated to be around 2,000 fps. Rifle is the #1 Tropical, open sights, fired standing using the side of a tree for a rest, distance is 60 yards, lasered. I have sat behind some big guns at the bench and truthfully neither my heart nor my head was up to sitting behind this one. I was firing for group only and did not expect the bullets to land where they did as the rifle is sighted for a reduced load of a 410 gr., .410 cast bullet at about 1200 fps across the screens. I believe it will do for a dangerous game, open sighted rifle. 3 shots....that was enough.

Oh, the two little holes at about 11:00 o'clock are from a 1903 Mannlicher/Schoenauer in 6.5 X 54 M/S. First shot from its cold barrel has been obliterated by the 450/400 rounds. I had relieved the front sling loop hoping it would stop the walking the rifle does after the first round. Obviously not. Sure stacks 'em after the first shot but not where I want them to go!!!! Still gotta figger out that one.

[​IMG]

wolfdog likes this.
  2. wolfdog

wolfdog Active Member

Pretty good shooting using opens.

3. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 Active Member

That oughta be the ticket. ;) Like you, big guns at a bench don't appeal to me at all anymore.

4. sharps4590

Thank you wolf. Truth be told open and iron sights are all I shoot. I own one scoped rifle and it hasn't been fired in 20 years or more. The last scoped rifle, other than the one mentioned, was sold 8-9 years ago. It was another Ruger # 1 in 22-250 that I hadn't used in.......a long time.

This is a target I fired at 100 yards, benched, with my Johann Outschar stalking rifle in 9.3 X 62R, an old black powder cartridge. I believe I remember the load being 62 grs. of Ffg Scheutzen, a pea sized grease cookie between a pair of .020 card wads and a .366, 200 gr. bullet cast of 25-1 from an Accurate Mold. I walked the load up as can be seen from the bullet hole at the bottom edge of the target then the next one in the 5 ring. Last three were fired for group. I'll be the first to admit that the red gods were beneficent that day and the atmospheric demons were behaving themselves. The rifle is the second & is also the top rifle in the third picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sharps4590

quigs, if that doesn't do it then I need to quit....lol!!! As with yourself I can still sit behind them at the bench but I am getting to that place in life where I don't relish it like I used to. I believe I'm going to take the powder charge up 2 grains in the 450/400 just to see what it does. 72 grs. is a fairly mild charge. What the heck, might as well close in on that 4000 fpe plateau....for a couple rounds anyway....lol!

6. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 Active Member

Be looking for a report. ;)
    I tore my rotator cup in my shooting shoulder about 6 years ago...really don't want to go thru that again. Think I'll stick to shooting the ole 45-70 and my muzzleloaders from here out. :)

7. sharps4590

Ahhh...yes sir, that would bring things to a screeching halt! Standing and shooting them with your hand rested against something isn't too bad. You still know it isn't a 243 you just fired but it's doable for a few rounds and you can at least tell what the load is doing. If I were still working with double rifles the way I used to I would build me a standing bench rest. Who am I kidding....I can't afford to work with double rifles the way I used to...lol!