The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tiger 10/22 with a BSA 3x9-40 and I sight it in dead on at 50 yards. I put it away in my cannon safe and when I transport it for squirrel hunting I keep in in a hard gun case. I shoot it and the gun is way off. The gun is never bumped and scope rings are set perfectly. Can anybody tell me what may be happening?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think you mean a Ruger 10/22 with scope? About the only thing I can think of at the moment would be that the maybe the scope is not installed properly. Loose mounts, and rings, will cause the scope to move, as well as the scope not fitting the rings properly. Have you double checked to see if anything is moving, or loose?

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I agree with everything Carver said. I may add that I had a very difficult time with my Ruger 10/22 when I got it using the "tip off" scope rings that clamp on to the dove tail on top of the receiver. I just couldn't keep them from moving in the dove tails. I finally changed and went with a scope base that is screwed to the receiver and uses "Weaver" type scope rings with the cross bolt. That solved the problem. One other thing, my Ruger does not like a clean barrel and it takes as many as a dozen shots to "foul" the barrel before it shoots consistently. I don't clean my barrel but only rarely if and when the accuracy falls off and then I just fire several fouling shots before I get serious with any target shooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah auto correct sucks. I meant to say ruger 10/22 and it does have the dove tail mount. Where can I take it to have a weaver rail system put on?

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
You shouldn't have to take it any where Kstew. If you have the standard Ruger dove tail scope base on your rifle all you have to do is take if off and replace it with one of the many cross slotted scope bases that are available for the Ruger. If the new scope base is specifically for the Ruger it will all ready have the holes drilled in it and you can simple put it on your rifle just like the original was installed. Then pick up a pair of Weaver Style rings and you are in business. Do a little Google search for scope bases for your Ruger and maybe look for a YouTube video showing the switch over and proper installation.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I didn't ask the obvious question first. Does you scope base already have the cross slots? Mine didn't but those newer ones I have seen do. If so you don't have to change anything but go to Weaver Style rings. Sorry I am working from memory rather than looking at the rifle.

·
Administrator
32,507 Posts
The problem could be in that BSA scope if it's an older one.

Also, are the action screws tight ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
The points that the folks have already made are all good places to start. But there is one other consideration that you might take into account before you go too far with changing mounts, etc. Someone mentioned that the problem might be the BSA scope. It isn't the best brand, but even if it's working properly, the question is whether it is a .22 scope or not. When you shop for scopes you'll notice that some manufacturers specifically mention that they are for .22 cal. rifles. That is not just a specification for the size of the scope rail. Generally, even a good .22 cal scope, has the parallax set at less than 100 yards, while a standard scope usually has the parallax set at 100 yards. Parallax is a fancy word that essentially means the optimum focal point of the scope. Look it up on wiki for a better explanation, but the important point here is that if the parallax of the scope you're using is not less than 100 yards, you can shoot all day and never hit the same place twice because each time you look through the scope you will be seeing a slightly different place depending on where you put your eye in relation to the lens. I have seen folks put very, very expensive glass on .22 rifles and be very, very disappointed because of this issue with parallax. Best of luck. Let us know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts