The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I have posted my accuracy tests using the Lee Factory Crimp die in the past, so I hope you don't mind if I do it again.

I purchased a K of Midsouth's 55gr Varmint Nightmare JHP bullets for about $90.

I decided to test this new to me bullets in my Colt AR both with a Lee crimp and without. My crimp is what I call a Med-Light.

I chose Win 748 as it has worked well for me in the past with 50-55gr bullets.

I fired five rounds at each target allowing the barrel to cool between each five round group. This is the first set of groups.

I then fired five shot groups from the bottom up starting at 26.5gr and working up the target to 25gr. I did not let the barrel cool at all. The only down time between rounds was loading the mag.

As you can see these bullets shoot damn good for cheap bullets and you can see that the rounds crimped with the LFCD outperformed the non crimped rounds.

26gr Crimped is a winner in my book.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
And you have a real winner with 25.5-26 gr W748 and those bullets. ID personally call 25.8 my load.

Good thread steve. :thumbsup:

· Registered
5,274 Posts
I'll second the thumbs up! Great visual documentation and clear results. The LFCD is worth the extra effort.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
thanks for the good write up!

isn't 748 the same powder used in military ammo for the 5.56? thought I read that somewhere recently.

Hodgen has their new .223 specific powder out now too, supposed to be even cleaner burning and 'cooler'/easier on the barrels. but the military stuff burns just fine as far as I care.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
thanks for the good write up!

isn't 748 the same powder used in military ammo for the 5.56? thought I read that somewhere recently.

Hodgen has their new .223 specific powder out now too, supposed to be even cleaner burning and 'cooler'/easier on the barrels. but the military stuff burns just fine as far as I care.
As far as I understand milspec 5.56 ammo is loaded with bulk grade W748. It was developed for longer barrel life in the M16s and increased performance.

And that CFE223 your are referring to. Awesome stuff. it prevents copper fouling. Burn speed is close to W748.

· Registered
3,585 Posts
Very nice documentation Steve!
Just out of curiosity, but I notice how on-target the groups are. You didn't have any major POI change through that range of charge weights? I haven't ladder tested my .223 yet.

To date, I haven't messed around with the LFCD in any caliber.
I have picked a couple calibers up when they've been on sale but I honestly have never threaded them into a press yet. :eek:
I'll have to put forth a little more effort to give em a try some time.
I do use a crimp on any cannelured bullet for my rifle loads, but just what I get from the particular brand seating die that I'm using.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.