Accurate .308

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I am looking for a long range bolt action accurate .308. I have heard the best results(withouth spending thousands) are from a .308 with a rem 700 action. Am I better off (if this is the best caliber / action combo for me) buying a rem 700 .308 and modifiying it or buying a .308 700 action in a package for long range shooting? By the way remember somwhat of budget.

An also...I understand somewhat the ballistics of a short vs log .30 cartridge as far as burning the powder as far as accuracy is concerned.

Sorry for all the "as far as".

Any input?

2. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Sorry for the addintional post but I am looking for 300 - 600 yds. Not 1000 like all the snipers out there. Nothing against them but 3000 yds is a little beyond me.

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I hunt with a Savage mdl 12 varmitter in 308. it has a 26" bull bbl. the rifle comes with the accutrigger. It is very accurate. I have shot my speed goats between 370 and 560 yrds. With a mill dot scope and a good system for ranging its a walk in the park. Tried and true, hands down it works. You will also need a chrony, ballistics info and some math time which i can help you with. The remmington 700 is a good rifle too. Just make sure you get the most barrel for the buck. Its the barrel where the magic happens. If you plan to hunt with it and not just punch paper, get 26" of bbl. You need all the velocity you can get, so you can have energy for the bullet to do it's thing out there. If your going to shoot that distance you will need a good scope. Buy the best you can afford. Also check out steel WARNE rings and bases. Stay away from the cheap stuff.

One more note a rifle that can consistantly stablize and make longs shots like this are usually not going to be lightweight. 10 to 12 lbs not uncommon.

http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

4. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Thansk for the info. I meant 1000 yds (3000ft) sorry abd with typing and tringto keep it short and quick.

5. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

6. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I agree with the Savage being the best bang for the buck, and they will shoot with anything off the shelf. The Rem. 700 while good it can get a little pricey. My advice is get the Savage and use the cash left over on your optics.

7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I gotta agree with the Rem 700 .308 w/26" heavy barrel. 1 hole groups at 100, still half min. at 800. But no matter what thr rifle can do, you gotta do your part. And don't skimp on the glass.

8. islenos

islenos Active Member

This is a .308, the shot by itself is the cold bore shot, the other four shots came in at 3/8 MOA (ruler there to verify)
    Rifle is a 1943 Mauser Kar98K that was fitted with a Douglas XX barrel... etc. Total build was $1200 including glass.

I bring this up because you don't have to buy one out of the box to get an accurate rifle.

[​IMG]

9. MJ1

MJ1 New Member

You don't have to stick with a bolt gun. What kind of shooting will you do?

...MJ...
    [​IMG]

10. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I'd be more concerned with worrying about how you like the rifle rather than the caliber itself too. You might end up picking up a 7mm-08 (derived from the 308) or a 30-06 (the 308's parent) that you like more than what you are seeing in the 308's at your local stores. Typically, most bolt rifles are chambered in all three one way or another so you'll at least be able to special order it. But, it doesn't really matter that much. All three are capable of one hole groups and have such similar qualities about them. And, quite honestly, any cartridge is capable of one hole groups. This is almost a "should I buy a Ford or a Chevy" question. Buy the one you think is prettiest and you'll love it.

If you will never shoot at large game with it, you might also choose one of the "varmint" calibers too. They are equally, if not more accurate (due to a lack of recoil) than the 308's and it's kin. And if you plan on reloading, you'll find the smaller cals a little cheaper to shoot because of how much less powder you'll be using.

Eh...Just pick the one you think it the prettiest. You'll love it to the death.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  11. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Nice guns. I have always wanted one myself.....

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver Active Member

Damn, those are some beautiful 14's.............My dream guns, drool, drool!:D

13. islenos

islenos Active Member

Nice 14's....but they seem to be missing a knob on the right side;)

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Nice rifles, but I'm every bit as impressed with the M49 spotting scope and tripod; where did you get it?

15. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I don't have to stick with the bolt. I like the availablilty and ease of maint. I am not as familiar with semi auto's but bolts is like home. Also there seems to be more options with a bolt as far as barrels are concerned. This is a project I don't mind doing a little at a time. I am not looking at hunting, I am looking for something for 500 yards or maybe a little more (are you every satified with what you have? I always end up wanting a little more). The 30-06 and 7mm-08 are not out , again it just seems like there are a lot more option out there for .308. Plus it's used my our military and LE...can't be a bad round. tell me what you think.