The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an accurate trimmer that will cut the same length every time, AND cut square. I don't want one side of the neck longer than the other which for some reason seems to be the problem with some trimmers. Specifically want this so I can get a consistent roll crimp for 44 mag. Any suggestions?

I currently have the Lyman universal, Non carbide cutter and I wish it didn't consistently cutting one side 1 to 2 ish thousandths shorter than the other. I have a few ideas on what it might be. Anyone else have this cutter and know how to fix this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I use the Lyman Universal, and haven't had any issues. Are you certain you are using the correct pilot pin?
I've also recently started using the Lyman EZ-trim hand trimmer too, and so far am pretty impressed. It's VERY consistent, just not very fast.
I like it because I can move away from the bench and trim cases anywhere. I often will trim up a batch while watching TV. It works with a pilot system. When the pilot bottoms, it stops cutting. So there are no settings to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
42,066 Posts
For trimming cases, I use the Lee cutter and case guide for most of my rifle brass. I have been shooting and reloading .44 Magnum for about 40 years and have yet to trim a piece of .44 brass.

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
I use an RCBS and Lee for my rifle cartridges. Never trimmed straight walled pistol brass.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use a Lyman Case Prep Center with a Lee threaded cutter and case length gage for several calibers. I get better results than using my Lyman Universal case trimmer which does not seem to give a square case mouth.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
1 or 2 thousandths won't make a difference in your crimp on 44 Mag. The only time I trimmed straight wall pistol brass was when I acquired some new unfired 44 Mag brass (Starline) and it varied as much as 15 thousandths in length. I felt like that would give me problems, as I was loading near max, and I wanted a good consistent crimp.

·
Premium Member
19,281 Posts
Never trim my 45 colt straight wall cases. For bottle neck cases i use a RCBS case trimmer, and haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I know what's wrong with my trimmer though. I will make sure the correct pilot is inserted, Place the case into the holder, move the ram forwards to position the pilot inside the case, THEN lock down the case. Then if I move the pilot back out, every time the case will spring AWAY from me just a tad making the side of the case closer to me get trimmed EXACTLY 0.002" shorter every time. I just tested this and it happens every time. I don't trim 9mm, I plan to keep 44 mag the same length, and I always trim 30-06 to 2.484.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I trim everything. As far as I am concerned, constancy IS accuracy. I may get a bit carried away with that, but what is the down side? Will my ammo be too good?
Everything we do other than the powder charge is set by length. Crimping has a tremendous effect on pressure. So a consistent crimp will certainly make a difference.
That said, my handgun ammo is far more accurate than I am with a handgun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I trim everything. As far as I am concerned, constancy IS accuracy. I may get a bit carried away with that, but what is the down side? Will my ammo be too good?
Everything we do other than the powder charge is set by length. Crimping has a tremendous effect on pressure. So a consistent crimp will certainly make a difference.
That said, my handgun ammo is far more accurate than I am with a handgun.
I agree. I'll keep my 44mag(for cocnsistent roll crimp) and 30-06 the same length, but have you found trimming 9mm is worth the time?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I NEVER trim straight wall pistol case and haven't for over 30 years. For rifle cases I use the motorized bench mounted RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer with the correct pilot for each caliber. It typically will get the lengths within a few thousandths or better.

But there is no need to trim 44 Mag cases because today we can buy the LEE Factory Crimp collet die, just like the rifle version and NOT the phony version with the carbide sizing ring at the bottom. With the collet die the crimp force is horizontal not vertical and the length of the case makes no difference. Non-uniform lengths all come out the same for crimp.

https://leeprecision.com/44-magnum-custom-carbide-factory-crimp-die.html

I use these and the rifle versions on almost everything. For bolt guns I do not crimp at all but if it is a hunting round where mis-handling of the ammo is possible then I recommend hunting rounds be crimped.

LDBennett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts