The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an acraglas kit for a stock I'm fitting to an action. I cannot find one anywhere. All are backordered. I've checked Brownell, Midway, Midsouth, Amazon and a wide internet search.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Dang near anything firearm related is becoming out of stock.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Does it have to be acraglas. You could use JB weld, or metal tape.

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be my first bedding job, so I'm new at this. I have seen JB Weld advertised. How stable is it when cured?

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Very stable, it sets in about 20 to 25 minutes and takes about 14 to 16 hours to cure. I use the neutral shoe polish for the release agent which works good. Since it takes a few minutes to set it allows you to correct any mistakes. Just be generous with the release agent.

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I did that 700 BDL, I used JB Weld epoxy.
BTW, did you ever finish that thread with the final results? I probably missed it when I was out west.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have used Bedrock when I can't find any Acraglas .
As for a release agent, I have try most everything from wax polish to pam cooking spray. What I now use is what ever comes in the kit.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
If you get the JB weld they do have a fast setting one that sets in about 6 minutes and cures in about 4 hours but I prefer more setting time as I'm all thumbs when delicate work is required.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not be using the fast setting kits. I definitely need time to be on my side.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
This will be my first bedding job, so I'm new at this. I have seen JB Weld advertised. How stable is it when cured?
I once used it to fill about a 1/4 X 1/2 gouge on the leading edge of a carbon fiber prop on an airboat I owned at the time. After it cured I filed and sanded it to fit the contour of the prop. The prop would spin up to around 3400 rpm. The JB Weld was still there when I sold the boat a number of years later.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have used JB Weld before. Actually used it to patch rust holes in metal gas tanks on old 3 wheeler atvs many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
BTW, did you ever finish that thread with the final results? I probably missed it when I was out west.
I know that I finished the rifle. I have pictures somewhere but I can't find them. It came out pretty good. I think that it was harder because I was bedding a finished stock and had to worry more about squeeze out getting on the finish. I mointed a cheap tasco scope on it to just see what happens and I have to say, it was definitely an improvement over before the pillars and bedding. If I can find the pics, I'll put them up.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Brownells say they have it:

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,671 Posts
I have used JB Weld on two different stocks with good results and also bedded several more with Pro Bed 2000 with good results. Pro Bed 2000 was the easiest.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
They didn't have it yesterday. I'll check. Thanks.

All the kits say backorder.
Sorry the one that came up on my screen said IN STOCK............. However, I see that for the $76.00 kit. Again, sorry.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sorry the one that came up on my screen said IN STOCK............. However, I see that for the $76.00 kit. Again, sorry.
And that one is just resin and hardener 28 oz. I need probably less than 1 oz. It is not a kit. So, I would need release agent, etc.

Thanks again for the input though.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Johnsons Paste Wax has never failed as a release agent, and even doubles to fill small holes you don't want epoxy in. I've used JB Weld and Devcon for bedding before. The wax, and/or masking tape is your friend for squeeze out.
Devcon is much stronger, but only comes in one color, if that's an issue. I've used it to put motorcycle cases back together where pieces were missing, and heliarc wasn't an option. Used it as a field expedient, on a blown alcohol drag boat aluminum engine, that blew a head gasket etching a hole between the block deck and head. It ran two more 195mph 1/4 miles that day.
I prefer AccraGlas, but the price is getting as stupid as ammo prices.

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
And that one is just resin and hardener 28 oz. I need probably less than 1 oz. It is not a kit. So, I would need release agent, etc.

Thanks again for the input though.
You don't need to buy special release agents. KIWI neutral shoe polish or Johnsons floor wax will do you fine. As for filling holes and such in the action, I used plumbers putty because I had it on hand. Clay will work too. You just need the base materials and maybe the dyes to try and match the wood color.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts