Actually found some ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flannelman, May 8, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I was in the Academy Sports yesterday and they had ammo!! The guy was stocking a fresh supply of Monarch 9mm on the shelf while I was drooling over the guns. They had close to ten 50 round boxes of Winchester 9mm and a massive 550 round box of UMC 9mm. I watched the dude stock Monarch for ten minutes! They had a lot of rifle ammo too. And even some other pistol rounds. I finally tore myself away from the guns and got a couple o boxes of Monarch for ten bucks a box. I think maybe the panic buying is subsiding or the ammo plants are starting to catch up.

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I think one thing that might be taking place is that those who buy $9 boxes of blazer brass 9mm at Walmart who hope to turn arround and sell it for $22 a box are finding out that nobody is buying at those prices. There was a discussion on another forum i am on about how much they would be willing to pay above what it should be and its not alot more than $12 a box.

So, i think the hoarders are not only not seeing massive profits but not even seeing modest ones either...which is fine by me. I hope they get stuck with a bunch of ammo they don't need! :D

mike
    gn

3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Yep serves them right! I have been hoarding some but that is because I haven't had much time to shoot. I also wanted to get some to shoot till I get cranked up reloading for my 9mm. I recently reloaded 5 test rounds for my .30-06 and haven't got to shoot them yet because of the rain. I had so much fun reloading them I wonder why I waited so long to get started!

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I just got done looking at some of the prices on Midway and i'm not sure a person can actually save money reloading unless you get into making lead bullets...? AND have a trap to catch them and recycle them...

mike
    gn

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

You just happened to be there when the truck came in. I also shop Academy, and one of the sales persons in the gun dept. keeps me informed as to when a truck is expected with ammo. He knows that I will buy a few boxes of what I need and leave the rest for the other customers. Also, if you shop Wal Mart, get the clerk to scan the barcode for the ammo you want, that is out of stock. Once he has scanned the barcode, he will be able to tell you when they expect another shipment of that caliber and brand.

6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Around here, I have seen signs of sellers keeping the ammo hidden in the stock room, if they only put a few boxes out at an inflated price, the grabbing starts. That way they can keep a steady stream of buyers coming in and make them pay 50% more per box. Sneaky buggers! I bet half the stores around here are doing that.

7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

The Obama effect!

8. ARB

ARB New Member

The small gun shop by my home got a shipment in yesterday. The .22 CCI was $9.49 for a box of fifty. They also had magtech .45's and 7.62x39 for really good prices! I bought a little of everything.

9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I lucked out the other day and found 3 bulk packs of Federal 22 cal hp at Walmart. I bought 2 of them. I was able to cancel a back order I had with Cabelas for 3 boxes of Remington 22 cal which was just great because they cost a great deal more.

10. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I drove 150 miles on Wednesday cause a guy said to be there on any Wed. at 3PM and they would have the powder I needed at Wally World. Not a store employee. They didn't even get any in that day. Then I went to a local store yesterday morning and there it was. The owner says he never knows when or if he will ever get any. I bought three pounds of H4895 and will be looking no more for a good while.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Dang, are these things gold plated, or what! ARB, is this a typo? My local gun shop has a brick of 500 for $18.50 and I thought that was too high.

12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Those CCIs are $7.99/100 here, bricks are going for $19+...

Ouch!

13. islenos

islenos Active Member

it's only going to go up

14. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The ammo sellers at the local flea markets would buy 50 rd boxes of Blaser Brass 9mm at Wal Mart for $9, then try to sell it at the flea market for $22. Last time I bought any 9mm was a couple months ago at a small local gun store. 50 rd boxes of American Eagle 9mm for $13/box. I bought two of the four they had. I've seen none since except at two of the larger gun stores for around $18-22 per box of 50.

15. ARB

ARB New Member

I'm beginning to think I was robbed. Aghh, they got me again!!