The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a good load to use with my S&W 686 - 6" barrel .357 Mag. These days, it is hard to find the best selections of components for most loads; primers, powders, bullets. And this is true whether you are purchasing online or at your local gun store. Sometimes you just take what you can get in the door and try it. So I have some 140 gr Hornady FTX bullets, that I would like to try. Here is the rub... the pistol powders I have right now are Ramshot True Blue, Hodgdon Tite Group, Win 231. It might also be worth noting that I have only small pistol primers (not magnum); Alcan Max-Fire Small Pistol, Federal GM100M (match) and CCI 500. The purpose of this ammo is mostly for self defense. So two questions: will these primers work all right with the .357 Mag? Which other combination would you recommend? Thank you for the information!

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I haven't used a Magnum Small Pistol Primer in a .357 in probably 35 years. I actually think I still have some left over from the first brick I bought about 45 years ago. I have not had any problems with the standard ones at all, no matter what brand I have used.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lots of luck with the FTX bullet.

I am having trouble getting all the specs.

I am told that the trim length is weird. Something like 1.240.

I just got a Hornady manual and so far they don't mention it. EDIT: The trim length from the manual is 1.240.

I have loaded some and they do shoot with the standard trim length of 1.285.

BTW, I can tell a vast difference between small pistol and small pistol magnum, but they do work.
A little less pow and less recoil.
If that is all you got, use em.

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
I'd go titegroup. Sure..231 might meter better.. But 3.5 vs 6.5gr starting load and a pound of titegroup will get you down the road further than 231 will.

I've used non mag primers in 357 and they all went bang. In snow weather I'd want magnums.. And we'll self defense? Magnums if they were available.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
This is from a 2004 Ramshot load manual. Notice both the primers listed are Standard Small Pistol. (WSP=Winchester Small Pistol)

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you got the #10 manual, you need to look again. Page 885, right under the red box that says 140 GRAIN BULLETS there it is also in red: CASE TRIM LENGTH: 1.240"
View attachment 242757
Hodgdon website data

Bullet Weight140 GR. HDY FTX

Starting Loads 3.5 Grs

Maximum Loads 5.0 Grs

Powder Hodgdon Titegroup

Trim Length: 1.285"

Cartridge Overall Length. 1.600"

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
SO, which one would you believe, the people who made the bullet, or the people who made the powder? I tend to want to believe the bullet manufacturer. It doesn't matter to me, I will never load a 140 grain FTX bullet, anyway!!

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
Not counting the military surplus stuff that I shoot very infrequently I have molds for just about all the commercial stuff I shoot. I'm missing maybe a safari caliber and you know a couple of things but 95% of the stuff I should have got molds for an eye cast for now I've been making use of this cold weather and sitting in front of the LED furnace a lot and just making jars and jars of projectiles. As for the military surplus stuff I probably have enough Surplus ammunition to last my lifetime so I'm not too worried about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, Everyone! I was metering 7.2 grains of Titegroup for 125 gr bullets, so I went with that on these too. Out to the range tomorrow for a test shoot. And I just used the CCI 500 primers. They have worked fine with my other loads, so I hope they will work well with this.
If you got the #10 manual, you need to look again. Page 885, right under the red box that says 140 GRAIN BULLETS there it is also in red: CASE TRIM LENGTH: 1.240"
View attachment 242757
Thanks for the insight, guys. Very helpful. I do not have that specific reloading manual, I know I need to update the ones I have.

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
7.25gr? That's hot for the 140's. I think 5gr is max. Not near my manuals..so double check numbers. As projectile weight goes up and powder..so does pressure.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
7.25gr? That's hot for the 140's. I think 5gr is max. Not near my manuals..so double check numbers. As projectile weight goes up and powder..so does pressure.
But he loaded 125 grain bullets. I'm not near my manuals either, so I can't check.

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
He said he was doing 7.25 on the 125's..then said he'd do it for the 140's...that scared me a bit..for his safety...

·
Premium Member
9,869 Posts
And I didn’t read OP acknowledging George pointing out that the cases need to be trimmed shorter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts