Added 2 To My 22 Collection for Appleseed

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by R-H, Jul 16, 2017.

1. R-H

R-H Member

Well talked the wife into going to an Appleseed shoot this September, and of course we will need to each take a 22lr and have 1 for backup. I already have a Marlin 795, so I thought go out and buy 2 more, but no one carry's them within 70 miles of where I live, so I broke down and bought 2 Ruger 10-22s that were on sale on Father's Day, After their 10 day prison sentence in the California gun jail, I just finished setting them up today, was able to pickup the parts from someone at work that set a rifle up for Appleseed a few years ago and lost interest, he put his 10-22 back to stock, sold the rifle before I was in the market, but I picked up the parts he had. I will try to get to the range tomorrow and see how they perform. After the wife and I go enough times to make rifleman or get tired of trying, my plan is to take my 2 oldest grandsons to Appleseed and when they make rifleman I will pass the Ruger's on to them so my safe isn't packed so tight.
    Well thanks for listening.
    RH

The 22lr collection is growing
    IMG_0033.JPG
    The set up for Appleseed, I'm hoping to do it with the Tech Sights, but have the Marlin setup with a scope just in case these old eyes let me down,
    IMG_0014.JPG

Have the slings for the other 2, just waiting on the swivels and studs from amazon

2. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

Got to love the 22lr round, I really like the old 22 rifle single bolt action on the bottom of the first photo! I bet that thing is very accurate. I have never heard of the "apple seed shoot" but it sure sounds like a bunch of fun. Have Fun, shoot straight and as always be safe, and let us know how it goes. :)

joe45c likes this.

3. R-H

R-H Member

It is a Winchester model 67 from the early 40's I've had about 35 years, it has a 27" barrel so it's lost some velocity, but you can almost touch the target with the end of the barrel so the accuracy is good, and I had not heard of Appleseed until several month ago, check out Project Appleseed, it is a program to train Americans to shoot at expert rifleman standards, put on by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, they have 1 & 2 day events all over the country.

joe45c and Kippy like this.
  4. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

I wonder how well my son's STG44 22lr clone would do at an Appleseed.:)

5. R-H

R-H Member

Is that an AK style? maybe pretty good, if it will shoot under 4 moa at 25m, it's worth a try.

6. armoredman

Not QUITE an AK clone....:)

Ricky online 4 19 17 3.jpg

7. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

Nice picture and a left hander to boot! I will stick with my Browning SA-22 Takedown. I have one newer made in Japan, and one oldie from Belgium.both in excellent condition. But I took the scope off, no point they shoot so straight.
    20160315_140750.jpg

jwdurf and joe45c like this.
  8. R-H

R-H Member

That's pretty cool though, if it has 10 or 20 round mags to make it easier to shoot prone, it should work good. Funny, even in 22lr guns that look like that make liberals soil themselves in the state I survive in, california, good thing is you can smell them from 300 yards away.

joe45c likes this.
  9. R-H

R-H Member

Those Browning's are sweet guns, only problem is one of those cost about as much as my hole collection, but you do get what you pay for.

joe45c likes this.
  10. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

image.jpg I have quite a few 22 handguns but my favorite go to 22 rifle is my Henry lever.
    Nice collection!

joe45c likes this.
  11. armoredman

My dearly departed brother had a Browning take down like that from our Grandfather...he sold it while I was overseas.
    R-H, those are 25 round mags, and the ten round California magazines are the same length, for realism. I have no idea how well it would do prone, haven't shot prone in decades. Not sure I could make it back up!

joe45c likes this.
  12. R-H

R-H Member

I can relate to that at least the getting back up part, but going to give it a try.

joe45c and armoredman like this.
  13. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had intended to do the Appleseed a few years ago and didn't get it done. I did buy a Marlin 795LTR and added Tech sites, etc to one of my 10/22's. Maybe your post will rekindle my desire to do the shoot.

joe45c likes this.
  14. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Have good luck and a great time at appleseed!

joe45c likes this.
  15. R-H

R-H Member

When I got my Marlin 795 the only round it would shoot consistently was CCI mini mags, all the bulk ammo Rem, Win, Fed, ect, it would have 2 or 3 failures per mag, then I polished the feed ramp and all was fine. I would have bought 2 more but none of the six shops that sell guns out by me carry Marlin's anymore, most were pushing Savage, so I went with the Rugers one shop had on sale over Father Day.
    I hope You do blow the dust off yours, and give Appleseed a try too, seems like a fun weekend.
    RH

jedwil likes this.