The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with a decapping/sizing die. It won't decap, and looking at it, doesn't "seem like" the pin is down far enough from pictures I have seen. Is this something I can or even should adjust?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes you can the pin should stick out about a 1/8 inch from bottom of die. You instruction manual should tell you this. If a 1/8 don't work adjust it accordingly till it pops out primer.

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
Might depend on your brand of die, but anything I've used (RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady) the pin depth was adjustable. With the Lee, there are two "jam-nuts" atop the die, and if you loosen them you can push the decapping rod down some. With the others the decapping rod is threaded, with a jam-nut locking it in place against the die top. Back off the jam-nut and then screw the rod down.

With this Bonanza brand, you would loosen A-10, and then D-10 adjusts by screwing up or down.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Besides the above mentioned tips, if you are decapping crimped primers you will experience some additional resistance popping out those.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I don't feel any resistance at all and the pin is not protruding out the bottom of the die, so I think it needs to be brought down a little.

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
You know, that's something that happens so seldom.

Someone asks for help, you give them the help, and that's the last you ever hear. That's normal.

But someone coming back and saying that the help worked. That's rare. And saying "thanks for the help". Even rarer.

Cool :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts