Advice needed from our veterans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 12:13:25 pm)
    Advice needed from our veterans
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have worn an AirCav emblem on one of my shooting sweaters since my son sent me his when he graduated from Ranger school/picnic. Yesterday, he gave me one of his jump pins.
    Now, I earned my 'chute in the late '40s as a civilian and jumped one fire. I earned them again from RAF in 61 in training how to be a bada$$ in the best Brit style (SAS).
    I'd like opinions from you vets who have one to share: how may I wear this pin, or should I not display it at all? I know I get PO'd when some 14yo punk wears military insignia, but I'm proud of this kid of mine and would be proud to show his accomplishment.

(Asbestoes undies on. )

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/03 12:24:48 pm)
    Reply Re: Advice needed from our veterans
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Generally speaking, I'm very much against civilians wearing any military emblems that they hadn't earned during their time serving in the armed forces.

The two execptions:

The parents or husband or wife in honor of a current member of the armed forces.....

....and the parents or husband or wife in honor of a member of the armed forces who gave their life for their country.

So, IMO A&S......wear it with pride

Edited by: Xracer at: 3/9/03 12:29:46 pm

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/03 12:32:31 pm)
    Agree with 'Racer -

Show your pride and hope people ask you about them so you can tell them about your son.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Jay625
    (3/9/03 12:48:23 pm)
    I agree.....wear it with pride.

Jay

USMC '65-'69

TF118
    (3/9/03 1:02:50 pm)
    Truthfully, and just my opinion....You earned your jump wings as a civilian, a smoke jumper I presume from your description
    '' I earned my 'chute in the late '40s as a civilian and jumped one fire.'', and in the RAF. You should be proud of your sons accomplishments and set up a display case with his jump wings and any other award's ...wearing a shirt with his logo on it is cool, however ...just my own opinion ...I would only wear my own jump wings that you earned and he wear his as far as wearing the actual pin ...anything else such as tee shirts, hats etc. with the logo is cool, thats just my take on it.

AIRBORNE !! AIR CAV 77-93

Edited by: TF118 at: 3/9/03 1:06:55 pm

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 1:05:21 pm)
    Here's another agreement for ya A&S, wear it with pride.

USMC 67-72
    Semper Fi

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 2:33:21 pm)
    A&S, how many peeple U see wearin Notre Dame etc jackets, an the closest they ever got to that school was a TV set.
    Wear them WITH PRIDE! I would.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/03 7:25:59 pm)
    Re: Advice needed from our veterans
    Thanks to all of you. I was suprised not to receive more of the "don't do it" messages, and that the one so far was so rational.

TF118, I did earn my 'chute in '49/50, but it was as a Boy Scout, of all things. There was a bad fire on Mt Charleston
    and they dropped a few of us in to help out. Great fun, as I was too young to be scared.

I think I'm going to pin it to my hat, right under the school bus pin "my kids" gave me last year.

Again, thank you.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/10/03 4:58:55 am)
    I'd say close enough, wear it with pride for BOTH (you and your son's) accomplishments

Rich

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/10/03 9:39:30 am)
    I think as long as it is worn tasteful and with respect then go for it.

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/10/03 9:57:12 am)
    As a 20 year man I wouldn't wear it if I hadn't earned it. That's just me.

I see nothing wrong with a parent doing what you want to do. Anyone can see the difference between your display and some brat with baggy pants wearing them.

I hope lots of people ask you about the pin.

Clouder..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.