The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope the moderator will put this in the right place. Wife has had a series of strokes over the past year and now needs long term specialized nursing care that is much more than my retirement. Don't want to break any laws and I know that I won't get what they are worth, but I am going to need every penny. Any leads on an honest dealer or advice would be appreciated. No real collector items (other than the Garand, the M-1 carbine or the Browning a-5s or the Japanese swords) mostly hunting/shooters going back to my Grandfather. Not sure where to start...always been a buyer!

·
Premium Member
19,857 Posts
See if a LGS will take them on consignment. If they buy them you will get less than 50% of the worth but consignment you will get a lot more.

Sorry to hear about the wife.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You can post your firearms in the classified section of this forum. Give a full description, include pictures. Put where you live in the post, just a generalized area or town, not your address. Note whether or not you are willing to go through an FFL to sell out of state. This service is free to members, and will probably get closer to the real value of your firearm, versus going to a gun store or pawn shop. Alternatively you can rent a table at a gun show and sell them if you have more than a few. You don't need a license to sell your personal collection. Tables at gun shows around here usually rent for $75 to $90 for a 2 day show. Of course, you may not have any buyers, and so may be out of that money. Another option if you only have a few guns is go to the gun show with a sign glued to a dowel stuck into the barrel and walk around. You only have to pay for admission to the gun show. There are also a lot of other gun forums that have classified listings. Most have a specific number of posts required before you can list firearms or accessories for sale. Then there are also auction websites, that allow people to auction firearms. But you must go through an FFL to sell out of state, like you would on this website. Finally there is always taking your firearms to either a gun shop or a pawn shop. In these cases you will usually receive only about 50% of the value of the firearm. You've got to remember that these outlets have overhead, they must pay employees, have business licenses and have insurance. They are not in business to provide a service, they must operate at a profit. You are generally better off selling it yourself. If you decide to sell them yourself, and you decide to go through an ffl, tell them how many guns you are planning to sell, and they may give you a discount on the transactions.

Sorry to hear about your wife's health problems, I will include her in my prayers. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
I too am sorry to hear of you wife's difficulties. I pray she rallies.

I've had the best results at auctions. Locally we have a gentleman who is a straight shooter and has wo auctions a year. He charges a straight 10% and there is no buyers premium. My experience at his and other auctions is it doesn't matter if it's a collectible. If you need to move them all right now or, as many and as quickly as possible, I'd be looking into an auction house. But that's just me. I'm not anywhere near as afraid of auctions as many are....and some have a justifiable reason. I don't. This day and age you would make a killin' on the Garand and Carbine. The A-5....just depends on which A-5.

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
PawPaw is right about selling them in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on TFF, the only thing is that you are only allowed three ads at a time, just read the rules in that B/S/T forum sticky post. If you list three and one or all sell quickly, let an admin or mod know to delete the one that sells so you can add another one. If more than three are listed then the oldest ones listed is deleted so that you only have three showing.

As well as a gun store, you might also look at auction houses in your area.

·
Registered
684 Posts
First, prayers lifted for your wife and you! I agree with what PawPaw said. There are many different options and each one is viable if it works for you. I wish the best for you both.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Wife Robert.

I have two excellent connections (top 100 Sellers on an Internet Auction site.) depending on where you live. One is in Wilmington, NC. One is in Locust Fork, Alabama. Both are Forum friends of mine. I just recently had the one in Alabama sell 9 for me. They brought an excellent price. If you are in a State surrounding Alabama She will come and pick up a collection for a very reasonable fee. (Much less than shipping.) She recently went up to NJ to pick up a Collection, when they passed back down through SW VA. I met them on I-81and passed mine off.

If this interests you, Text me at 423-297-3190, and I will give you their contact info.

-Ken-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife. Situations like this can be tough financially and emotionally. You already have some great suggestions, but before you sell your guns what about trying a Go Fund Me page. I already checked the sight and other stroke patients have raised thousands. It might be worth a try.

GoFundMe: #1 Fundraising Platform for Crowdfunding

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear about your Wife Robert.

I have two excellent connections (top 100 Sellers on an Internet Auction site.) depending on where you live. One is in Wilmington, NC. One is in Locust Fork, Alabama. Both are Forum friends of mine. I just recently had the one in Alabama sell 9 for me. They brought an excellent price. If you are in a State surrounding Alabama She will come and pick up a collection for a very reasonable fee. (Much less than shipping.) She recently went up to NJ to pick up a Collection, when they passed back down through SW VA. I met them on I-81and passed mine off.

If this interests you, Text me at 423-297-3190, and I will give you their contact info.

-Ken-
Thanks. Both sound promising. Wilmington is only 90 minutes away and my son lives there. Hope the text reaches you, I had to wear a phone and ear mike so many years in the Counter terrorist units that I have avoided phones and radios since I retired.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to hear about your wife. Situations like this can be tough financially and emotionally. You already have some great suggestions, but before you sell your guns what about trying a Go Fund Me page. I already checked the sight and other stroke patients have raised thousands. It might be worth a try.

GoFundMe: #1 Fundraising Platform for Crowdfunding
I appreciate all the prayers and good wishes. I will try to learn more about the Go Fund Me option, that never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts