advice on walther

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by y25singh, Apr 5, 2009.

1. y25singh

y25singh New Member

hello all...a newbie here...just got a pistol walther PPK 7.75 but was not sure if its the right thing or not ...looks more like a PP but has Mod.PPk written on the slide...kindly advice

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I can tell you this, the PPk has a 3" barrel and the PP has a 4" barrel. Seems to me you have a PP there, not a PPk.

Also the two calibres available were 7.65mm (.32acp), which yours is, and 9mm short (.380").

This may sound silly, but does it look as if the k on PPk could have been added?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree, that's a PP. The barrel's too long, the grip frame is too long, and the grips don't appear to wrap around the gun.

4. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    As U guys know I have been collecting both the prewar PP' and PPK's for many years.
    First of all the ppk ono this pp is bogus. 2nd the pistol looks like it has had an intence amount of cold blue or dipped, as the Russians have been doing to the Lugers and P38's. 3rd is the fact that the SN# on the frame is non existing in the prewar or WW2 era. So it is also bogus. I really hope you did not put much money in this fake pistol?
    Regards
    Danny

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am very interested in this case. In what way is the pistol fake? Is it perhaps a copy, (there were many PP clones) marked up as a Walther and they got the markings wrong? Or is it a post war Manhurin French made Walther PP marked as a PPk to make it more desirable?

My guess is it is a post war Manhurin made in France under licence to Walther (as I think all post war Walthers were 52-86) and the k was added just to enhance desirability. If true, the addition of the k is the only bogus thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It's definitely a model PP. I can't imagine why someone would put a "k" there as it wouldn't fool too many people. Does it say "Under License?" If it is a Manurhin, it might say "Made in France" at the butt end of the magazine throat. TJ

7. Danny

Danny Member

If you look close to the slide it has the Walther address of ZellaMehlis(Thur). Walther dropped the address on the slide in late 1944 & used AC with the right side having the SN# ending in a P. Also around this time the SN# did not match the frame on quite a few of these. It has a post war(French) frame and a prewar or war time slide. It is bogus and a shooter grade value.EOC
    Danny

8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Danny, That's a possibility that I hadn't thought of. You may very well be correct. A wartime slide, paired with a post-war frame. Good deduction! TJ

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As Danny posted, what y25singh has is a" parts" gun. Alll guns manufactured by Manurhin and sold under that name are clearly maked as such. All guns made for Walther were not Mananurhin marked and were shiped unfinished to Germany . They were them finished and marked Walther, there are NO French markings on Walther guns. Becasue they were assembled and finished in Germany they were legally consided to be German guns. The Walther and Manurhin connection stopped in 1984.And the more I look at the pictures the more it looks like a Replica gun designed to fire blanks. That would explaine the odd PPK markings

10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

RJ, I beg to differ with you on one point. In the early '80s, I bought a "Under License" Walther marked PPK/s. Only at the mouth of the mag well, in small letters did I find "made in France." Nowhere was I to find the words "Manurhin." Not on the paperwork, not on the box, nowhere. It had ST. Etienne proofs. TJ

11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That could be very well be what the disagreement was with Manurhin that caused the split.

12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Teejay9, , I throught I had read in one of my references but alas not can find it now. I don't know when they started marking the Manurhin on the bottom of the butt. I have a 70 police PP and a early 1982 PP bout are devoid of any but Walther markings. Danny. what say you, you are the most knowledgeable on the PP's and PPK's