The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first post here at the forums. Forgive me if I ignored any protocols.

I can really use some advice on getting this handgun of mine in working order.

This Pieper Bayard 1908 was confiscated by my grandfather in Europe during WWII. Some years ago my dad was shooting it and the extractor broke. It's been sitting around ever since.

I've never even fired a handgun before but decided I wanted one and figured the best place to start was with the one I already had.

Option 1, find a replacement extractor. Where in the world would I acquire such a thing?

Option 2, have one fabricated. How possible is this for a gunsmith? Is there one that you guys can recommend that is particularly good, or is it something that any gunsmith worth his salt can do?

Option 3, does anyone know of a gun that has a very similar extractor that may work with slight modification, in which spare parts are readily available?

Option 4, buy an identical gun just for the extractor.

Here's the gun, with the broken extractor towards the center. Sadly the other part of it that broke off is nowhere to be found. Forgive the toy gun grips, they're going to be the first thing to go (amazingly the correct Bayard grips are available remanufactured).

The complete extractor can be seen here at the top.

Thanks very much for any direction you can offer.

Dan

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It looks like you are talking about the extractor, not the ejector. Good luck on finging one. It's not unusual of a gunsmith to be called upon to make such a part, check around in your area. It could be a little expensive. Now and then parts might come up on some of the gun auction sights or even eBay.

BTW, if there are eagle marks on the right forward end of the slide and frame then the pistol was issued by Imperial Germany in WWI.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extractor, yes. Even when I was writing it I didn't think ejector sounded right, haha.

That's a cool bit of trivia but I don't see any such markings.

Dan

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Making that extractor should be relatively easy; I have made similar ones. They can be made from spring steel and tempered or just cut out of an existing spring if one of the right size can be found. The problem is that it might break the first shot, as some of mine did (but then I never claimed to be the world's greatest spring maker!).

A lot of those broke because someone just had to take the pistol apart. To remove the extractor, the front end has to be lifted up so the little "teat" will clear the hole; if the front is lifted a shade too far, snap!

Actually, the pistol is blowback, so the extractor really doesn't extract; it serves only to provide a pivot point for the ejector.

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's interesting that you said that. I was looking at another one that I was thinking of buying. I was talking to the guy about it and looking closer at the pictures and I realized it didn't have the extractor at all. He was surprised and said he can't imagine how it ever ejected its shells without it. He said it does jam sometimes but not always.

I'll be heading to a local gunsmith soon to see what he has to say. Thanks for the advice.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took it to a gun shop who said it would be $40 just for their gun smith to look at it and tell me if he could fix it. The $40 is waved if he can fix it, but not if he can't. I wasn't really willing to take that gamble yet. I'll keep my eyes open for spare parts for a while and go that route when I decide there's no alternative.

He said that if it could be fixed it'd probably be about $100, which is fine with me to fix my grandfather's gun. I'll look for a replacement part for a while first to avoid the risk of spending the $40, though (plus it'll be a lot cheaper than $100 if I find one).

Dan

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I suggest trying another gunsmith. Ask some of the older and more experienced gun collectors in your area, they should know who to see.

BTW, I have fired one of these little .32 Bayard pistols and I was impressed by how well it worked and that it shot close to the point of aim. I can't say that all of them will shot that well, but my example was a good one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted a want ad online and found someone that is selling me a .25 example, though from what I've read all the parts are identical except the barrel, magazine, and breech face. Fingers crossed it works out.

I'm excited to finally get to shoot this thing. It's been sitting around all my life.

My dad said it wasn't very powerful. He would shoot at a steel target and his .22 rifle would put a hole through it but this .32 would only dent it. Not that I really care how powerful it is.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a little update, I got the donor gun and installed the extractor into mine and I finally took it down to my cousin's farm and fired off a few rounds. I've been waiting decades to shoot this thing and it was a real joy! I only had a handful of ammunition for it but it was still a lot of fun, and it only jammed once when it failed to chamber (I think that's the correct description).

45Auto, or anyone else that can offer advice on shooting a gun like this, at what distance would you stand from your target with this 1908 that would be challenging yet realistic?

One thing I will say about it is that a couple times the spent casings sprung straight backwards and hit me directly in the nose!

Thanks, guys.

Dan

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
5-15 yards would be a reasonable distance...really short barrel...
get good at those and then try 25 yards.

Smart man would take the Extractor to a local smith and have him copy it...twice...
one as a spare and the other to get the .25 working again ;)

Numrich has a fair amount of parts for the .25...but no extractors or e-springs...
do have spare mags and other bits...
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1478

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid less for the donor gun than I would have to get a new extractor made (according to his quote) so I'll just look for yet another used part or donor gun if it breaks again, I guess.

Thanks for that link. Bookmarked!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts